ALPS Mountaineering Edge 2

Everything is as advertised with this tent. Spacious…

Summary

Everything is as advertised with this tent. Spacious 2 person tent. Fantastic for car camping.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Well made

Cons

• A little too bulky
  • Doesn't pack down well enough

I bought this primarily for car camping with my wife. We COULD backpack out with it, but it's a little big for that.

As far as set-up goes, it's pretty simple, straightforward design.  Two poles.  Stick one in diagonally, and the other perpendicular to it.  Done.  Takes about 5 minutes.  The rainfly is simple to strap on, should you need it.

The tent seems to handle the weather pretty well.  If I was sleeping in super cold weather, I'd probably go for this rather than my hammock.  The rainfly is good against the wind.  It's a solid design.

As far as ventilation goes, this is one issue for me.  This tent is probably better than most tents, but I HAVE to have moving air.  The fact that the rain fly has some vents that you can set up makes me pretty happy, but only if the air is moving outside.  Otherwise I get stuffy fast.

Roomwise, a lot of people say that if you want a true 2-person tent, get a 3-person tent.  Not so with this tent. It's a 2person tent.  It's a 2-person tent.  Yes, I typed that twice.  We could probably be happy with my dog in the tent as well, although he's weird about it... so who knows if we'll ever really get to try it.

My point is that there's PLENTY of room in this tent for 2 people, and really plenty of room for gear stashing, ESPECIALLY the way the rainfly is set up (plenty of vestibule space). Plus, there's a little gear stash area that you can attach to the ceiling. Not for anything heavy but if you've got your phone or wallet or lamp or any number of those things, that's a great place to put it.

Great product from a company that continues to surprise me.  Lots of ingenuity.

The freestanding ALPS Mountaineering Edge 2 tent is ideal for 3-season camping. 7000-series aluminum poles are strong and lightweight; pole clips provide quick setup. Made with a breathable, tough polyester taffeta canopy and a coated polyester taffeta rainfly and floor with factory-sealed seams for waterproofness. Large vestibule is ideal for stashing gear. Vestibules also serve as guyout points that stabilize the tent when the weather gets a little nasty. Rainfly buckles to the tent for a secure, adjustable attachment. Mesh ceiling vents allow airflow and stargazing. The ALPS Mountaineering Edge 2 tent includes stakes, guylines and stuff sacks. Special buy.

ALPS Mountaineering Edge 2

The Edge 2 has been discontinued.

The ALPS Mountaineering Edge 2 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 12, 2013 at REI.