Arc'teryx Cierzo 25
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $84
Lots of room for your gear on a dayhike, but light enough to stuff inside a backpack.
- Light weight
- Water resistant (not waterproof)
- Simple and tough
- Pretty comfortable to wear
- Thin straps
- Not much support
- Not much padding
- Only one big pocket besides the main one
- Rain will seep through the seams after a while.
I was scouting around for a lightweight day pack to stuff inside my backpack. At only 415 gms (less than a lb) the 25 l. Cierzo is an ultralight alpine pack, but it's perfect to have ready in your backpack when you get to your destination. The pack compresses into its own lid, making a tidy package that's easy to stow away until you need it.
This isn't made for comfort but for speed. The minimalist design shaves weight off wherever possible leaving an efficient but very light bag. Like the old kletter sacks, the pack consists of one large compartment, with few bells or whistles, but adds a separate compartment in the lid. There are nice little extras here and there that bump it up a notch as well.
- The bag itself is made of 100-denier Invista HT ripstop nylon with waterproof silicon and polyurethane coatings, and 210-denier Invista HT reinforcements.
- The straps are bare-bones, but include Spacermesh for ventilation and EV50 foam for a bit of padding
- A neat exterior shockcord system is used to compress the volume and make the load more stable. I find it a bit unsteady if you get the weight too high above the shock-corded section, but that's rarely a problem.
- The plastic dual-density frame sheet can be pulled out to use as a seat or to reduce the weight.
- The sternum strap and front compression sling can also be removed.
- 4cm webbing hipbelt. While that's wide enough for comfort, this pack isn't meant for carrying a lot of weight. Cinches up nice and tight, though, and over a fleece or jacket, you won't feel it at all.
- Front and back attachment loops, one removable ice axe keeper and two ice axe loops.
- Length 50cm, Width 25cm, Depth 22cm. Because of the design, all the interior space is useable, so you can cram a lot more into it than you'd expect. I find the length to be good for my size (5'8") but a couple of my friends have borrowed it for a day or two. Because the design is so simple, it seems to accommodate just about every body shape and size.
- Hydration compatible. Good thing — there are no outside pockets to hold a water bottle.
In my opinion, the 25 l. Cierzo is about as close as you can get to a proper alpine day pack while still maintaining its UL status. I've used it on mountain day hikes carrying emergency gear, axe, rope and crampons, lunch, water and extra layers, and just for day hikes around the city. More than enough room for everything I need, and no wasted space. As long as I'm not carrying a ton of weight, this is a great little pack.
I've always though of Arc'teryx as one of those 'over-priced big names' but in this case I think you get what you pay for.
Where to Buy
Here's what other sites are saying:
The ultralight Arc'teryx Cierzo 25 pack is an ideal companion for summit bids on multi-pitch day routes. Its lean, no-frills design is big on durability and no-nonsense function. Closed-cell foam on the shoulder straps and back panel provides comfort, moisture-shedding durability and support; hipbelt is made of light, 1 in. webbing. Removable back pad lets you strip down the pack to an even lighter weight. Fixed top lid freatures a zippered pocket with a key clip; highly compressible pack body stows in its own lid. Pack body features 3mm compression cords on each side; dual removable loops secure ice axes or other tools. The Arc'teryx Cierzo 25 pack is made with a silicone-coated, 210-denier ripstop nylon body for light weight, water resistance and durability.
Strap the Arc'teryx Cierzo 25 Backpack onto your back when you need a streamlined, lightweight pack that can go anywhere. The compressible, minimalist design means you can stuff your Cierzo pack into its lid pocket and store in your expedition pack until you want to bust it out for a day trek from base camp or that final push to the summit. The ultra-high-tech materials deliver cutting-edge performance in just about any conditions.
Pared down to the essentials, this go-anywhere alpine pack is for super-minimalists who make every gram count. Perfect for light and fast blitzes from an alpine base camp, the entire pack stows into its lid pocket. The exterior elasticized shock cord lashing system also works to compress the pack's volume, ensuring a trim and tidy profile. The top-loading lid snaps securely in place with a single-point buckle. This pack is ideal as a secondary pack on alpine expeditions, backcountry treks, or kayaking adventures.
- Mountains Plus
The Arc'teryx Cierzo 25L Backpack is pared down to the essentials. This go-anywhere alpine pack is for minimalists who make every gram count. Perfect for light and fast blitzes from an alpine base camp, the entire pack stows into its lid pocket. The exterior 2.2mm shock cord lashing system works to compress the pack's volume, ensuring a trim and tidy profile. The top-loading lid snaps securely in place with a single-point buckle.