Arc'teryx Gamma SV Glove

I wasn't sure when I first got them that I'd like…

Fabric: Leather and polartec power shield
Fill: polartec power shield

I wasn't sure when I first got them that I'd like them. However, having used them in the field, they absolutely made the day. Comfortable, protective, WARM, and didn't inhibit dexterity. Absolutely a top class pair of gloves. Intended for work in cold climates where abrasion is expected, these are well insulated, well padded, ergonomically designed. A top performer.

I already had a comfy pair of gloves with a leather palm. In fact they fit better than these SV gloves (out of the box) which is why I had reservations. The gamma gloves seemed stiff in the fingers, and appeared thin at the back and wrist. I thought they were maybe too heavy and not going to be warm. Boy was I wrong about these gloves... which is a good thing.

Let me describe them: they are leather fingers and palms with doubled leather at wear points. The back and wrist is stretchy with insulation at the pack of the hand.

The good: the way they are assembled is impressive, and by that I mean the way the pieces were cut and assembled is very ergonomic lending itself to dexterity and comfort. There is a nice large wrist loop that is very useful in getting them on. The length is nice because it eliminates a cold spot. Sizing is going to be particular, and I thought mine were a bit tight, but now they fit ...well, "like a glove"!

I broke them in during a day in the snow carrying stretchers and belaying up and down slopes in the snow. These puppies glued themselves to my hands verry nicely. My hands were never irritated, nor cold, and helped me to keep a good strong grip on both ice cold litter frames and in feeding out ropes... yet despite their being leather I was able to untie knots in ropes and webbing WITH them on.

On the ride home I had my arm out the car window as a test, and although I could feel the cold on my arm through a jacket, my hands actually remained comfortable, as a testament to their wind resistance and cold. I had purchased an over mitt, but never ever needed it. These gloves are fantastic!

Get the warmth and protection of soft-shell technology with the Gamma SV Gloves by ARCTERYX. They feature Polartec Power Shield for comfort that stretches with your every move.

- Mountain Gear

On Sale. Free Shipping. Arcteryx Gamma SV Glove (Spring 2010) FEATURES of the Gamma SV Glove by Arcteryx Anatomical design and fit Elasticized wrist Polartec Power Shield in back of hand/cuff areas, with high loft Polartec Power Shield in fingers Reinforced palm with leather thumb and fingers Short-length cuff with pull tab SPECIFICATIONS: Weight: 3.9 oz (112 g) M Style: Accessories Gloves Activity: Alpine Climbing, Ice Climbing Fabric: Shell: Polartec Power Shield high loft Reinforcement: Washable leather This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

The Gamma SV Glove from Arc'teryx is made for severe conditions. Arc'teryx uses the designation SV to indicate gear intended for the roughest use. The Gamma SV glove incorporates hardworking Polartec Power Shield for freedom of movement and comfort. The application of washable Lezanova leather means that these Gamma gloves can withstand a soaking and still retain their shape and dexterity. Designed for climbing, long approaches, and springtime vertical, the SV is anatomically cut for a great fit and excellent feel while swinging ski poles or ice tools. *Available for US shipment only.

Arc'teryx Gamma SV Glove

The Gamma SV Glove has been discontinued.

The Arc'teryx Gamma SV Glove is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new insulated glove/mitten, check out the best reviewed current models.