Arc'teryx Gamma SV Glove

I wasn't sure when I first got them that I'd like…

Fabric: Leather and polartec power shield
Fill: polartec power shield

I wasn't sure when I first got them that I'd like them. However, having used them in the field, they absolutely made the day. Comfortable, protective, WARM, and didn't inhibit dexterity. Absolutely a top class pair of gloves. Intended for work in cold climates where abrasion is expected, these are well insulated, well padded, ergonomically designed. A top performer.

I already had a comfy pair of gloves with a leather palm. In fact they fit better than these SV gloves (out of the box) which is why I had reservations. The gamma gloves seemed stiff in the fingers, and appeared thin at the back and wrist. I thought they were maybe too heavy and not going to be warm. Boy was I wrong about these gloves... which is a good thing.

Let me describe them: they are leather fingers and palms with doubled leather at wear points. The back and wrist is stretchy with insulation at the pack of the hand.

The good: the way they are assembled is impressive, and by that I mean the way the pieces were cut and assembled is very ergonomic lending itself to dexterity and comfort. There is a nice large wrist loop that is very useful in getting them on. The length is nice because it eliminates a cold spot. Sizing is going to be particular, and I thought mine were a bit tight, but now they fit ...well, "like a glove"!

I broke them in during a day in the snow carrying stretchers and belaying up and down slopes in the snow. These puppies glued themselves to my hands verry nicely. My hands were never irritated, nor cold, and helped me to keep a good strong grip on both ice cold litter frames and in feeding out ropes... yet despite their being leather I was able to untie knots in ropes and webbing WITH them on.

On the ride home I had my arm out the car window as a test, and although I could feel the cold on my arm through a jacket, my hands actually remained comfortable, as a testament to their wind resistance and cold. I had purchased an over mitt, but never ever needed it. These gloves are fantastic!

Arc'teryx Gamma SV Glove

The Gamma SV Glove has been discontinued.

The Arc'teryx Gamma SV Glove is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new insulated glove/mitten, check out the best reviewed current models.