User Review: Arc'teryx Naos 70
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $195
Simply the best all round pack.
- Build quality is bomb-proof
- Good features, minimal clutter
- Attention to detail
- Comfortable carry
- Pack size is adjustable 60L - 94L
- Price, but I got a bargain
- ;-) Pack envy ;-)
I got my Arcteryx Naos 70 pack for $195 on clearance and couldn't believe my luck. I am absolutely in love with this piece of kit.
The build quality is bombproof. Arc'teryx used glue to bond the seams. When they stress-tested it, the AC20 material tore before the seams did. The pack is almost air-proof when properly sealed (I say almost because I love my pack too much to try putting my entire weight on it).
Features I like are:
- the waterproof fabric (essential in my part of the world),
- the two kangaroo pockets on the sides of the pack (one of which has a hole to the outside so that you can drain any wet gear separately),
- the huge detachable lid (into which I can comfortably fit trousers, soft shell fleece and jacket)
- the expandable / contractable pack size. The roll-top will shrink the pack down to about 60l, but can also expand up to 94l.
- the carry with a 15kg / 30 pound load is mega-comfortable (and that was with the pack placing all the weight on my hips before I adjusted the shoulder straps)
The downsides are obvious:
- the Naos is pricey. I would pay full price for it any day of the week. There are a lot of other 'top spec' contenders out there but this pack is the only one I'd pay the full price for.
- associated with the price point is the pack envy you will endure on the trail from disgruntled fellow-hikers.
- the top-loading design is unavoidable given what the pack is built to do, but the detachable lid and kangaroo pockets will easily allow access for any necessary gear / food / clothing while hiking on the trail
I can't say just how much I love this pack and how happy I am with it.