Buying boots is a personal affair, so let your feet…

Materials: Leather and Synthetic uppers with a gore tex liner
Use: heavy pack, off trail, climbing
Break-in Period: very short

Buying boots is a personal affair, so let your feet decide. My feet love these boots. I use them for guiding backpacking trips into remote parts of Alaska, and they support my feet on rocks and lumpy vegetation happily. They are a stiff boot, but they have enough flex and rocker to make walking comfortable for the long haul. I've used them pretty hard for 2 seasons, and they are holding up OK.

My only qualm with Asolo is that some of the stitching appears to be designed to wear out so that you'll have to buy a new pair eventually (planned obsolescence). On these boots, instead of continuing the rubber rand all the way around the foot, there is a patch of stitching that goes right down to the sole. I covered mine in seamsealer as soon as I bought them, and that has helped, but I think those vulnerable stitches will be a problem in the long run.

They get a 4.5 because my feet smile whenever I put them on.

Asolo Alpinist GV

The Alpinist GV has been discontinued.

The Asolo Alpinist GV is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 20, 2011 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review

High Sierra Wheeled Double Adjustable Ski Bag Review

Jetboil Flash Cooking System Review

STABIL Stride Review

Weegie Weekenders

Trailspace in the morning...and a new hat idea?