Asolo Encounter 70

I got this backpack for camping weekend in backcountry…

Summary

I got this backpack for camping weekend in backcountry area and I love it! It's well made and very comfortable! Plus; it was perfect for my budget!

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Good quality/Well made
  • Not expensive

I'm a 5"3" young woman and I good the Asolo Encounter Elle 70 for camping weekends in backcountry area. I can fit my -30°C down sleeping bag, my sleeping pad, my hammock, clothes, food, etc. in the bag easily. The bag is very comfortable as there are straps to ajust almost every single part of it.

Love the way the pack is made, so you can keep your things well organized. The hip belts is doing a really great job to distribute the pack's weight, then even after a full day hiking it still feels comfortable on your back. Seems to me like its made from good and durable quality materials and all that for a really low price.

Of course, I cannot compare with other similar packs as its my first one ever, but I think it's a really good quality/price pack and have been reading reviews a long time before purchasing.

The pack is rubbish! The friction locks fail on the…

Price Paid: A$180

Summary

The pack is rubbish! The friction locks fail on the shoulder straps, then back adjust and the anti sway. I used it for a 7-day bush walk carrying around 18kg and it was completely useless. The hydration pack is also very poorly designed.

Pros

• Has a rain cover included in the price

Cons

• The friction locks are useless and fail within minutes of walking

Just don't buy it!!

Just finished a two night, 17 miles trip in the Oregon…

Design: Internal frame, main compartment loads from top or front.
Number of Pockets: 2 main compartments, separate detachable top and back "pockets"
Max. Load Carried: 38 lbs
Height of Owner: 5 ft 9 inches

Just finished a two night, 17 miles trip in the Oregon Cascade range, upper Clackamas River valley area. Carried about 37 lbs to start. Comfortable, easy to get the weight onto my hips or distributed as I wanted.

I have a fairly slender upper body, so the straps were adjusted almost to the end. Lots of room for a larger man, but if you wear a men's medium shirt, it is almost too large. Roomy, fit everything OK.

I like the small pocket on the belt, easily accessible while walking, it was perfect for a small digital camera. There is a rain cover neatly stored in the bottom, but it difficult to access with a sleeping bag attached below the backpack.

Overall I'm happy with it. The outside, detachable bag was great. I put a two quart water Camelbak water carrier in it. Easy to take to the stream and pump water. It has its own straps so it can be carried like a small day pack.

If you've owned or used an Asolo Encounter 70, please share your experience.

Asolo Encounter 70

The Encounter 70 has been discontinued.

The Asolo Encounter 70 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 1, 2007 at GearTrade.