Asolo FSN Vertical GTX

After a short 3-mile break-in, I took these on a 30-mile…

Materials: Split-grain leather w/ gore-tex
Use: moderate backpacking
Break-in Period: approx 10 miles
Weight: 2.7 lbs/pair (UK Sz 8)
Price Paid: $120 @ Zappos.com

After a short 3-mile break-in, I took these on a 30-mile backpacking trip to the Ozarks. I'm very impressed with their level of support and stability for such a lightweight all-leather boot. After pounding out a couple 15-mile days with a 40 lb. pack, my feet were relatively happy and free from hot spots. Due to heavy pronation, I need a very supportive boot for backpacking. These fit my needs perfectly. They're also light enough for day hikes and general wear around town in the winter.

I didn't get a chance to test their waterproofness, but their overall fit and finish is top-notch. I highly recommend these to anyone with low-to-medium volume feet. With orthodics or Superfeet insoles, they are perfect for moderate backpacking. The only caveat is their relatively shallow lugs (to save weight). On very abrasive rocky trails, you may only get a couple seasons out of the soles (I'd have them resoled, though).

CLOSEOUTS . A sure-footed companion for day hikes with a light pack, Asolo's FSN Vertical boots are lightweight with a semi-stiff midsole. Suede, nubuck and synthetic upper features Gore-Tex waterproof breathable membrane to keep feet dry from river crossings or rain clouds. Lugged outsole Gusseted tongue Lightly padded collar Height: 5” Weight: 2 lb. 14 oz. pr. Medium width CLOSEOUTS . Romania.

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version

Asolo FSN Vertical GTX

The FSN Vertical GTX has been discontinued.

The Asolo FSN Vertical GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 13, 2007 at Sierra Trading Post.