Baffin Impact

CDN $219.99

Well insulated and completely waterproof these boots…

Summary

Well insulated and completely waterproof these boots are great for bitter winter cold and times when things are less frozen too. Not for serious climbing but perfect for bushwhacking, shoveling the drive or a long sledding session with the kids.

Pros

• Cozy well into sub zero temps
  • Completely waterproof
  • Easy to remove and replace liner
  • Good traction on all but glare ice

Cons

• Heavy
  • Size impacts normal stride
  • Made in China

Being a boot with a thick insulated liner the Impacts felt very loose when I tried them on and I worked my way down through a few sizes before settling on a 12, which is about middle of the road as boots normally run for me.  They have a two belt system for tension application, but that mostly works to hold the boot to the end of the leg as opposed to clinching around the foot.  This allows for unrestricted blood flow and some space for the insulation to work but also a loose feel on the foot.

These boots were comfortable as soon as I stepped into them though I did need to take a few hikes before I got the hang of walking in them. The soles are quite large and I had to change my stride a little bit to keep them from banging into each other as I walked. I tried a couple of different socks before finding a thickness that felt right, first going too thin and then too thick. Getting the right sock was key to proper fit. The built-in gaiters worked flawlessly even the times I postholed past my knee or broke through the ice into the swamp during the thaw.

The soft cushion feeling of the liner does not provide great arch support. Not a big issue for me, but I could feel my feet working more at times because of that. Stability provided by the solid base passed on well into the flexible calf area and my ankles were not stressed even when bushwhacking.

Keeping your feet warm and dry are what these boots are all about. Between the waterproof shell and the fully functional gaiters you’d have to stand in pretty deep water to get any inside. Walking through swampy areas during a thaw I broke through the ice repeatedly into water and mud below without any issue or concern.

The only moisture you’re likely to find in these boots is coming from your feet. The liners do their job amazingly well. Even at times when I have overheated myself and generated a lot of sweat my socks were at most only lightly damp. The liners remove easily to allow the boot to dry as well as the liners. They are also easy to replace into the boot.

Baffin has a great traction system built into these boots. On anything short of glare ice I was able to move confidently. Smooth ice was of course another issue and I’d recommend at least micro spikes if that was anticipated.

I have used these boots down to temps approaching -20°f and the only time my feet were cold in them was putting them on in the morning getting out of my tent. While moving or at rest my feet were happy. This makes them useful for standing still watching my daughter sled as well as when in motion in the woods.

Being designed for cold weather these boots are easy to get on and off with gloves on. The belts adjust easily with gloves on as well as do the gaiters. The soft leather which joins the hard boot to the softer nylon legs has remained totally flexible throughout a season of use. Salt exposure leaves a mark but does not appear to have done any damage after being wiped away.

This is my first experience with a Baffin product so I can’t compare the workmanship, but I was somewhat disappointed that this model was made in China just on principle. I have noticed some, cosmetically at least, poor stitching but no issues in terms of functionality.

Over all I would definitely recommend these boots for work or fun in the cold and wet of Winter. They do what they say in keeping your feet warm and dry even in challenging conditions. While I have used them extensively in deep snow, on broken winter trails and for many hours of working outside the house this winter I do not think these boots would work well for serious climbing or with snowshoes due to their design. They do work for kicking a toe in but it seems to me their loose fit makes steep slopes a challenge.

All pics are after four months of frequent use with a quick brushing for the camera

IMG_2349a.jpg

IMG_2352a.jpg

The open tread is designed to shed snow and slush.
IMG_2353a.jpg

The wide belts and buckles are easy to use with gloves on
IMG_2355a.jpg

The built in gaiters have a push button drawstring which keeps them closed tight.
IMG_2356a.jpg

The inner liner has a heel cup of sorts to keep it from wearing out too quickly.
IMG_2358a.jpg

Not a great picture but this shows the mesh spacer which creates air space below the liner and the aluminum reflective membrane underneath.
IMG_2359a.jpg

This is an example of the cosmetic issues I mentioned earlier.  Everything seems structurally sound but when I see stitching like this I start wondering about how things were made.

I am pleased with my purchase after using these boots all Winter.  They have definitely gotten a lot of use and I expect that to continue for years to come.

Great review, LS.

I've had my Impacts for about 4 years. THEY ARE very,…

I've had my Impacts for about 4 years. THEY ARE very, very WARM.

NOTE: Please get them 1 size larger. I use them in sub zero and near zero when just standing (events, traffic control, etc) and they are great but I wish I had bought them larger.  I wear them now with just sock liners and never cold. If I feel me feet even starting to get cool, I walk around just a little and I am just fine.

Liner boot comes out very easily to sleep with in winter camping, then makes a wonderful "tent slipper" when getting dresed in the AM.

The Impact has an ankle strap that helps in walking. This is NOT a hiking boot however, but I certainly can put a mile or two on in them. They're just BIG, warm, high boots. If you are not walking a lot and love warm feet, get these.

Visit Baffin's Impact page.

The Baffin Men's Impact Snow Boot gives you hefty weather protection for the most extreme winter weather. When you have to be out in deep snow and frigid temps, the Impact keeps your foot cush and cozy. Shock-absorbing GelFlex midsoles stay flexible in extreme cold, and the aggressive Polar Rubber outsole easily deals with deep snow and icy terrain. The eight-layer Thermatuf II inner bootie retains heat, and a double-layer metallic membrane reflects heat back to your foot. Open-cell foam and hollow fiber insulation provide additional warmth down to -148 degrees farenheit. The double buckle closure provides a precise fit, and the drawstring top seals out blowing snow and cold air.

Built for extreme winter conditions, the Baffin Impact winter boots are comfort-rated down to -148degF to keep your feet cozy through winter. Heavy-duty ripstop nylon uppers have 2 adjustable straps and a drawstring top for a secure fit that's quickly adjustable even with gloves on. 8-layer liner system ensures moisture management, soft comfort and cozy warmth down to -148degF. Breathable open-cell foam offers lightweight insulation while 4-channel hollow fiber insulation traps air to maintain constant temperature. Double-layer aluminum membranes reflect warmth back inside boots. EVA midsoles offer light weight and help maintain interior warmth. Nylon shanks provide ample arch support so your feet won't readily fatigue on long treks. Rubber outsoles on Baffin Impact winter boots feature an aggressive sole pattern that resists clogging for excellent traction in slush and snow.

Baffin Men's Impact

The Baffin Men's Impact is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 28, 2014 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new winter boot, check out the best reviewed current models.