Bare Boxer Contender
Where to Buy
The Bare Boxer Contender is a budget bear canister…
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $60
The Bare Boxer Contender is a budget bear canister that is light and more importantly, approved by IGBC and SIBBG for use in both Grizzly and black bear country.
- Easy to open
- Multiple uses
- Small, only holds 3 days worth of food
Earlier this year, I decided to shop around for a bear canister to use on my weekend trips. I needed something that fit my budget as well something that is approved to be used in any National or State Forests. I had a few choices to select from, ranging from size, weight, and price.
The choices I had were:
- BearVault 450 - Good size but too large for my needs but price was just right
- Bearikade Scout - Would be my #1 choice both in size and weight, but too pricey @ $195
- Counter Assault Bear Keg - Slightly higher in price but too heavy and too big
- Garcia Bear Canister - The work horse of all canisters, heavy...and HEAVY!
- Bare Boxer Contender - Price is right, weight is right, size fits nicely in my pack.
Based on my personal preferences, I felt that the Bare Boxer Contender fit all of my needs across the board.
Here are some specs of the Contender:
- Weight: 1 lb. 6 oz.
- Diameter: 7.4 in.
- Length: 8 in.
- Volume: 275 cu. in.
Some detailed pictures of the canister itself and how much food it can hold.
From the last photo above, I was able to squeeze 3 out of 4 MH meals and most of the snacks. More than enough for a 3-day trip. However, if some items are repackaged, you can actually fit more in there if you wanted.
Aside from this canister being used for what it is made for, I have found that this has made a great camp chair as well when cooking.
In addition to using it as a chair, I have also used it to hold water or used it as a bucket to do laundry in. I am completely happy with this product and would recommend it to anyone looking for a lightweight, low cost bear canister.