Bibler Tempest

Yes, the price I paid is correct - picked up at a…

Design: Internal Frame Free Standing Four Season
Ease of Setup: Simple once you have done it once and marked the poles.
Weight: 6.5 lbs list, 7 pounds with extra stakes.

Yes, the price I paid is correct - picked up at a local REI "Scratch and Dent" sale, the problem - "customer said it was too heavy" - that took $310 off the price. I've always known that Bibler was the best tent that you climbing partner could buy - brand new they are bloody expensive, but now that I have one, I am tending to think that like most expensive gear, worth the price.

I've been using it for most of this summer in Sangre de Cristo and Jemez mountains of New Mexico. Have not yet had it in a really serious storm, but I'm hoping! Set up definitely takes some practice, do it at home to figure out the sequence.

I am marking it 4 out of five stars for two reasons: 1. The largest drawback is the "asymetric" pole design, that leaves one of the poles in the back shorter than the one in the front. (I marked the longer pole with some white electric tape, and the front of the tent. Makes setting it up in bad conditions a little easier.) 2. You must fully seam seal the canopy of this tent, why they don't apply a factory tape job is beyond me when the price for this tent at list is $389.

Since the poles are inside the tent, they say that you could just grab the poles and dive in if the weather was really bad, but I think that could get seriously claustrophobic. Once set up, the tent is roomy, stable even in high wind and quite comfortable. Not the lightest tent available, but it is strong, sturdy, and quite durable. With proper care I expect that I'll get at least ten years of use out of it - let's see that $8 bucks a year, 20+ nights per year, about 40 cents per night. Of course, at full price that would come out to more like $2 per night, still not bad.

I've been camping and backpacking for over 45 years…

Design: Bibler Tempest
Ease of Setup: After some practice it's a snap!
Weight: with poles and stakes and footprint about 6lbs.

I've been camping and backpacking for over 45 years all over the United States. Out of all the tents I've owened the Bibler Tempest is without a doubt the finest all weather tent.

Yes, it is just a bit heavy but that is offset in my mind as I hump it in the boonies because I know I have a bombproof shelter. I seam sealed it carefully (it's a pain) and I have no leaks after many stormy nights in New Mexico thunderstorms. When staked out properly I know it will withstand 55+ mph winds.

One thing I really like is that when it's raining the front and back doors can be opened and still stay dry yet get that beautifull smell and coolness because the front and back vestubules keep the rain out. I rate it at 4 stars only because of the weight. Buy it if you are a serious camper/backpacker!!!

If you are looking for a bomb-proof two person tent…

Design: 4 season geodesic
Ease of Setup: 3 on scale of 1-5
Weight: 6 -1/2

If you are looking for a bomb-proof two person tent for all year usage look no further. This tent is tight as a drum and offers great all weather protection including snow. Learning to set up and seam sealing were the only bummers associated with this tent.

Front vestibule is roomy enough for all your gear and provides plenty of circulation because you can leave it open in all but the worst storms. Tent is expensive but well worth it. If you were to own one tent; this would be it! Way to go, Bibler.

I spent five days in this tent on Mt. Baker in September.

Ease of Setup: the two poles are cumbersome in setup

I spent five days in this tent on Mt. Baker in September. The weather was wet and cold. This tent leaked badly, and its airflow with two people in it was terrible.

I know everyone raves about this tent, but I gotta tell you, I would never buy one.

If you've owned or used a Bibler Tempest, please share your experience.

The Bibler Tempest is sold under the Black Diamond brand.

The Tempest has been renamed. It is now known as the Black Diamond Tempest.

Bibler Tempest

The Tempest has been discontinued.

Renamed

The Bibler Tempest has been renamed. It is now known as the Black Diamond Tempest.

The Bibler Tempest is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 20, 2009 at REI.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.