Black Diamond Ascension Nylon STS Skin

Reliable, dependable, and well constructed skins that…

Summary

Reliable, dependable, and well constructed skins that climb exceptionally well. I highly recommend them to anyone who backcountry skis.

Pros

• Universal tip and tail attachments
  • Long lasting glue
  • Great on the climb

Cons

• Glide could be improved

Black Diamond Ascension STS skins are a staple up here in Northern New Hampshire. The tip and tail attachments are universal and will fit securely to any type of ski. Over the years I have used my set I have never worried about the skins detaching from the skis.

The glue holds up well against the variable conditions I see which includes not only different snow conditions but also sticks, pine needles, and leaves. I truly appreciate that I have yet to have glue failure.

While climbing these skins are able to tackle any angle the skier is will to attempt. Performance does suffer slightly when I am in the back of a group and the skin path has been well traveled.

The only area that keeps me from giving these a 5 star rating is in the glide. I have found that while traversing flat terrain I am not able to slide across the snow as well as some other on different skins. However, any lack of glide ability is made up for in climbing. I have also heard that new versions of the Ascensions have redesigned hairs which improve on glide while maintaining the climbing ability.

Overall I would highly recommend these skins for backcountry skiers. They will last for years and will make your climb much more enjoyable.