Black Diamond Serac Strap

12-point stainless steel crampon that does the job.

Price Paid: 135 EU

Summary

12-point stainless steel crampon that does the job.

Pros

• Stainless steel
  • 12-point
  • Anti-balling plates

Cons

• The points feel dull
  • Not for ice climbing

I bought these a couple of years ago and I've used them only in snow ranging from powder to crust with my flexible hunting boots, but never on solid ice.
DSC00012.jpg
After some mixed rocky trail hike, a fellow hiker advised me to buy a knife sharpening stone to sharpen the edges from time to time. I came to no result since stainless steel is VERY HARD to sharpen. Not that I needed any sharpening because till this day they are as sharp as they were when I first unboxed them.

The fit is excellent and once the adjustment is done there is no need to re-tighten since they stay in place for the rest of the hike.
DSC00013.jpg
The anti balling plates work like a charm and never had any issues whatsoever.

DSC00031.jpg
DSC00032.jpg
My boots are size 44 and I've set the pin to 3. The standard bar cover (I think) up to size 46 boot.

DSC00033.jpg
DSC00034.jpg
DSC00035.jpg
I didn't want to shorten the strap, so I had some velcro sewn to it to keep it in place.

DSC00036.jpg
Bought them new for 135 euros. OK price I guess..
DSC00030.jpg
The weight per crampon with the velcro mod.
DSC00038.jpg

Thanks for the helpful review and pictures, Nick!

FromSagetoSnow

They look almost identical to the BD Contact crampons, which would have saved you some money. I'd recommend a single-cut file to sharpen them over a stone and, yes Stainless is a pain to sharpen.

Nick Mesarhakis

I agree about the Contact option. They would be cheaper and lighter but they would also miss 2 points. That's why I chose Serac. I'll think about the file although I didn't notice any signs of further dullness (they are practically as I unboxed them).

Clever idea with the velcro. Too often I've cut excess straps items and then regretted it later. Thanks for the great review, Nick.

Nick Mesarhakis