Black Diamond Spire

After researching trekking poles, I decided to go…

After researching trekking poles, I decided to go with the Black Diamond Spire. I really like the flicklock and binary system over the more common twistlock system. Adjusting the length of these poles is simple and quick. This system truly is zero slip. Initially I was looking for trekking poles with some sort of anti-shock system, but after using these poles over a multitude of different terrain, I'll tell you anti-shock isn't necessary. I put these poles to the test hiking the Zion Narrows. They performed flawlessly. The oval shaped design provides more rigidity in the fore/aft axis.

I have been putting of buying trekking poles due to the steep price, but they are well worth it! If you do a lot of hiking and backpacking over rough terrain, I highly recommend getting yourself some trekking poles. I'm very happy with my Black Diamond Spires and I'd buy them again.

Just returned from putting these through their paces…

Just returned from putting these through their paces in the Jotinheimen mountains in Norway...where their strength was much-appreciated. Comfortable grips, though you need to learn how to use the leashes or they slip. The flick-lock feature works well; it never slipped on me.

Four stars instead of five because they are a bit on the heavy side compared with other poles. For me the weight penalty was worth not having to mess with the twist-lock slippage that my wife and others experienced with Leki poles.

Best poles I've ever owned. Better that the Leki's…

Best poles I've ever owned.

Better that the Leki's or REI CF UL's .. Primarily because this is the only set of poles that wants to stay locked. Both the other sets would collapse going down hill. And, sometimes with the Leki's I couldn't get them to lock in the first place without some minutes of "fiddlin".

Overall, A+ quality !!!!!!!

If you've owned or used a Black Diamond Spire, please share your experience.

Black Diamond Spire

The Spire has been discontinued.

The Black Diamond Spire is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 12, 2013 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new rigid trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.