Black Diamond Trail Back

I am a convert. After a couple of back to back hikes…

I am a convert. After a couple of back to back hikes in the backcountry over washed out trails, through landslides and dozens of deadfalls with a loaded pack over steep 1,000 - 2,000 ft elevation changes I decided to give my creaky knees a break.

I have had good luck with BD products and the flik lock system seems to be the better option for on the move adjustment and I preferred the BD fit and texture of the grips. Also I have to admit the price point was attractive to me because I struggled with the idea of paying for a walking stick, but now I wish hadn't delayed the purchase. To me, the improved weight distribution, balance and added safety coupled with reduced strain on my knees, both ascending and descending, is a huge benefit and I'm not crouching hanging on to my pack with my hands.

Another unintended bonus for me, I fly fish and it's great to have a compact lightweight pole for added stability crossing streams. The unavoidable negative is the added weight and cumbersome snag addition to your pack when not in use but that's really a minor trade off when you are dealing with elevation and hiking on obliterated unmaintained trails.

These hiking poles are a great bargain for any hiker…

Summary

These hiking poles are a great bargain for any hiker on a budget. I ended up getting these for $55 and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Pros

• Price
  • Size

Cons

• Heavy
  • Handles slip when wet

These poles are perfect for the price that comes along. I like the grips even though they can slip a bit when they are wet or your hands are sweaty. They fold down to a very manageable size that fits in my day pack no problem.

I would recommend these poles for any hiker that is on a budget. It's amazing how much poles help on both the ascent and descent. I loved using these in the Smokies, very helpful for all the creek crossings.

Easy to adjust height and lock in place. I have used…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Easy to adjust height and lock in place.

Pros

• FlickLock design
  • Sturdy
  • Can order replacement parts

Cons

• Not as compact as some other models when fully closed

I have used these poles over the past six years on both hikes and on backpacking trips. They have gotten me through dirt trails and slickrock in Utah, lava in Hawaii, snow fields in Wyoming, and granite in N.H.

The antishock is subtle but does the job. I am 5'5" and my husband is 6'2" and the poles can adjust enough to comfortably work for both of us.

I was attracted to these poles because of their locking design. I had a real cheap pair of poles before I had these that had a twist lock set up, but they never seemed to lock or unlock easily for me. My husband had a similar problem with his Leki poles, so we decided to try out the FlickLock system of these poles. I love the locking mechanism. It never fails. It stays locked when I want it locked and easily unlocks when I need to unlock.

I also have found that I can get replacement parts for just about any section of the poles as they can be completely separated into pieces very easily rather than having to buy a whole new set of poles.

Thanks for sharing this review, Allison. I also prefer my BD poles for hiking or skiing over others.

First pair of real trekking poles I have ever bought.

First pair of real trekking poles I have ever bought. In the past have just used my adjustable ski poles with the baskets removed. They were the typical twist lock style that started to no longer hold well.

So after reading a ton of reviews and checking out all the poles in stores I really liked the flip lock on the BD poles. Took a week long trip into the Olympic Mountains with them and really like these poles. Though not the lightest out there they are strong, priced right and do not slip after adjustment!

Need to get a pair of the adjustable BD ski poles this winter.

The locking system is great. I can say this as I am…

The locking system is great. I can say this as I am a surveyor and have used a lot of locking system for different survey rods. I have found that over time the twist lock will wear out on you and no longer hold. So went with these poles and love them never came loose and held all my 160 lbs when crossing several downed trees on the FT.