Brooks Cascadia 7

Solid toe protection, stable platform, minimal arch,…

Price Paid: ~$80

Summary

Solid toe protection, stable platform, minimal arch, decent grip in dry conditions, but unable to handle too much weight.

Pros

• Toe protection
  • Grip in dry conditions
  • Minimal arch
  • Stable platform

Cons

• Can't handle too much weight
  • Less underfoot protection than I like
  • Color

Personal Usage and Background

I run trails in Southern California. Typical distances range from three to eight miles. Elevation changes are usually no more than 1000', but are usually much, much less.  Because of my SoCal location, the conditions in which I run are almost always dry, dry, dry. I have a low arch (technically, Morbus Ledderhose), so I favor shoes with minimal to no arch support.  I have attempted to backpack once with these shoes.

Fit and Comfort

I tried a 9 1/2 (my typical size) on in the store, but in that size the toes on my right foot were pressed too close to the front for me to trust that size to a long distance run. So, I bought a 10, and that has worked out fine except it seemed a smidge (and I mean a smidge) too wide in a 10. I end up cinching the laces very tightly.  That said, these were comfortable out of the box for me, with no break-in period. There was no rubbing whatsoever.

Trail Performance

The manage good grip in dry conditions, but I haven't been able to observe them in wet. The lugs are fairly low, which is great for the occasional foray onto tarmac, but makes me think that perhaps they are not a star performer in the mud. I haven't had that opportunity, so I really wouldn't know.  However, they have made a better ad hoc soccer shoe than my street runners, which should say something about their traction.

These are a bit on the heavy side, but at a little over 12 oz., they certainly would not be confused for boots. This is probably due to the overall protection, including toe protection which is better than it looks and has saved me from more than a few pebble stubbings. However, I favor much heavier underfoot protection than most, as it gives me a little more confidence and allows me to not focus as much on where I'm stepping.

However, this is definitely a bias I have: iRunFar has written that the Cascadia 8 rock plate makes it the "most protective shoes" that reviewer had ever worn. One might reasonably ask me if I expect steel.  At which I probably wouldn't laugh.

The cushion underfoot is substantial as well; these are not minimalist shoes. This, bizzarely, may make me imagine I'm feeling more rocks underfoot than I am, as each rock impact impresses into the cushioning making me aware of the rock (as opposed to less cushioned shoes, but rock-plated shoes I've run in which make me feel like I am wearing armor).

I also like that they have a wide base which makes for great lateral stability. It feels like I am less likely to twist an ankle.  I haven't  yet, so that must prove me right, right? However, all that underfoot cushion and stability has made me wish I picked my feet up a little bit higher.

The venting is good, but the holes might be too large; occasionally I've had an aggregation of sand to dump.

Colors

I am, um...not the most fashionable guy.  In high school, sure, but as I've gotten older, I've actually learned to prefer the muted tones and non-divergent shapes which are the staple of the typical male shopping outing.  I have the bright green version of the Cascadia (they were on sale). Holy geez. At least the SAR Bird will be able to find me easily.

Backpacking

The one time I attempted backpacking with these, it was because my usual boots were about 400 miles away, comfortably at home (the wimps). After about 4 miles of wearing the Cascadias while carrying a summer overnight load for my 6-year-old son and I, the impact from rocks were way too noticeable, the lateral slippage was serious and would have probably led to blisters on a longer trip (could be related to the sizing issue I mentioned before?).  Worse, by the time the short trip was over the midsoles were seriously less supportive.  I think the extra weight might have squished 'em.  Or maybe it was just their time.

Overall Impression

I feel stable and protected without feeling like I'm wearing a tank. They are very comfortable and vent well and have provided me with the traction I've needed. Nothing that I've noted as negative has been a barrier to enjoying my runs. And I do enjoy running with these shoes.

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All Cascadia 7 versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Cascadia 7. Read all reviews »

With aggressive tread and responsive outsoles that provide excellent stability, the men's Brooks Cascadia 7 trail-running shoes help you conquer tough, uneven trails. Durable synthetic leather and nylon/polyester mesh uppers with microfiber overlays are lightweight and airy for quick drying and comfortable performance. Asymmetric lacing matches the shape of your feet for an enhanced fit and increased comfort. Element air-mesh in uppers and linings provides excellent ventilation and moisture management to keep your feet dry on the run; removable insoles add cushioning. DNA cushioning uses high viscosity liquid to react instantly to each step, customizing the cushion for different runners and running styles. Midsoles feature BioMoGo polymer alloy foam to increase energy return and reduce foot fatigue; nontoxic additive helps midsoles break down in landfills. Medial and lateral Pivot Posting system helps outsoles adapt to your stride, offering stability on uneven surfaces. Forefoot Ballistic Rock Shields help protect your feet from sharp rocks. Brooks Cascadia 7 trail-running shoes feature a blend of high-density carbon rubber and recycled rubber for outstanding durability; aggressive lugs maximize grip on the trail. Closeout.

With its brilliant blend of protection, traction, cushioning, and support, the Brooks Cascadia 7 is tough enough to take on any terrain-no matter how rough, wet, or steep.

- EMS

Ample cargo and hydration capacity for a 3-hour to a full-day hike.

- RockCreek

Brooks Mens Cascadia 7 - Closeout - Designed from the ground up, the Cascadia 7 defines what a trail shoe should be: rugged without sacrificing runnability. Infused with Brooks technology and a bit of insight from ultrarunner Scott Jurek, this amazing piece of equipment features an asymmetric upper that anatomically wraps the foot with conforming materials, a ballistic rock shield and toe protector for dicey terrain, and four-point pivot posts that act like a suspension system for your feet. Top it off with an intuitive lug pattern and this trailblazer is ready to tackle even the toughest terrain. Size : 7.0 Category: Trail/Neutral Weight: 12.2 oz Platform: Universal Sprung Construction: Strobel Brooks DNA: Anatomical Launch Date: February 1, 2012 Heel-Toe Offset : 12.0 mm

- Massey's Outfitters

- Bentgate.com

Brooks Men's Cascadia 7

The Brooks Men's Cascadia 7 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 12, 2013 at REI.