Cabela's Rimrock Gore-Tex Hiker - Smooth Leather

I hadn't hiked or camped for a long time (25 years),…

Materials: Leather upper with gore-tex liner
Use: long dayhikes, weekend backpacking trips
Break-in Period: Practically none!
Weight: 3 lbs. per pair

I hadn't hiked or camped for a long time (25 years), and I just got the bug to do it again this past summer... so I really did it. I went on a 5 to 10 mile hike almost every weekend, along with a few weekend backpacking/camping trips through the summer. I needed a hiking boot to get back into it, something available in EE width, and something that would support my ankles and cushion my feet on all those rocky trails. I liked the way the Rimrocks looked and felt, and they were cheap, so I got 'em.

It's now six months later and I'm shopping for some heavier boots, because I totally trashed these poor things! The leather is now wonderfully broken in, but the soles have no cushioning or support left, and the last has completely lost its shape. But I never did get a blister on any of my dayhikes, right from the start. I did get some mild blisters carrying a fairly heavy pack and making a mad 3-mile dash to make camp before dark, but that was it.

The seams have all held together, the boot is still very waterproof and the sole was nice and grippy, but I wouldn't say these boots are durable. They're like really comfortable moccasins now, great for lounging, working in the yard... but not hiking.

So my conclusion is that if you only do light dayhikes and you want a really cheap (Chinese-made) boot that will do the job with minimal break-in and has a nice retro look... these should do the trick for you, especially if you have wide feet (like I do).

However, if you have any backpacking plans, do yourself a favor and look at something heavier and more durable. Cabela's carries some boots made by Meindl in Germany that come in wide sizes. My mom got a pair and she thinks they're the best things she's ever worn, but she's not a hardcore hiker or anything...

I bought these hikers for a September elk hunt in…

Materials: leather, gore-tex
Use: hunting, hiking
Break-in Period: 2 weeks

I bought these hikers for a September elk hunt in Colorado.

The boots were very comfortable after a short break in period. Overall comfort was very good after wearing for a week solid and hiking 5-8 miles per day with a 20# daypack on all day.

However there were some issues with the boots. one morning there was some slushy snow, and although these are Gore-tex, my feet got pretty wet on the hike up the mountain.

Also, not through the fault of the boot, but ankle support is minimal. I would recommend a boot with more ankle support for hiking pack trails and back country trails.

But for light hiking here in Pennsylvania these are great.

This is a follow-up to a previous review. The Cabela's…

Materials: Smooth leather uppers, Gore-Tex lining,
Use: Day hikes, fair-weather mountain climbs on defined trails
Break-in Period: none required
Weight: 3 lbs.

This is a follow-up to a previous review.

The Cabela's Rimrock Hikers have a leather upper with fabric-lined gussetted tongue, with glue-on outsole. Their listed weight is 3 lbs. for the pair.

I bought these Rimrocks because I wanted a traditional-looking leather hiking boot at an entry-level price.

I've now had my pair of Cabela's Rimrock Hikers for nearly a year. They were decently supportive for the first few months, and very comfortable. The outsole seemed to give reasonably good traction. The Gore-Tex liner works well, as the boots are as waterproof as I've needed.

Unfortunately, these boots have not held up well, and that's why I've demoted them to only 2 stars. After about six months of heavy use, they lost their shape and structure, flattening out to become almost like moccasins. I noticed this when I took them backpacking one weekend and developed blisters on both feet (from the weight of the pack, I suspect). I've had to add two additional insoles to the original one (an Odor-Eaters Ultra on bottom, the original insole above that, and an arch-support insole on top). They are now at least comfortable, but feel very floppy and sloppy. Also, the outsoles have lost their traction. I was wearing them when descending a steep hill covered with about two inches of snow, and wound up skiing more than walking down.

So I'd say that these boots may work well enough for those who don't mash up their boots, for occasional light day hikes on well-defined trails, but not at all for regular off-trail use or for those (like me) who make mincemeat out of their hiking boots. Also, the outsoles don't have good enough grip for bushwhacking or use in snow.

If you've owned or used a Cabela's Rimrock Gore-Tex Hiker - Smooth Leather, please share your experience.

Cabela's Rimrock Gore-Tex Hiker - Smooth Leather

The Cabela's Rimrock Gore-Tex Hiker - Smooth Leather is not available from the stores we monitor.