Cerro Torre Delta 47L

The Cerro Torre Delta 47 is a great pack. At 2868…

Design: Ruck-typesack
Size: 47L (2868 cubes)
Number of Pockets: 7
Max. Load Carried: 25 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5' 11"
Price Paid: $99 U.S.

The Cerro Torre Delta 47 is a great pack. At 2868 cubes it fits my needs perfectly (an extended day pack and an occassional overnight). I got this pack about three weeks back and have done four hikes with it between 8 and 9 miles each over some rough terrain.

I had goten this pack in replacement of an REI Lookout that I had initially gotten. I returned the REI due to my concerns (see a previous review) of the durability of the fabric on the bottom of the pack in the terrain that I am trouncing around in (very sharp rocks and a lot of them along with close tree work as well). REI took the pack back without a problem and in searching the store came across the Cerro Torre.

Now folks may have a problem with the weight of this pack at 4 lbs. and 10 ozs. but for me it is not a problem. In fact it would be quite hippocritical of me to say that the Cerro Torre is too heavy compared to the 2 lb. 11 oz. REI when I an 50+ lbs overweight myself.

Okay, enough history.

The pack:
Made from 420 denier with 1000 kodura on the bottom and stress points has a main compartment that has a draw string tie at the bottom. Initially it made me say "Huh?" but I then determined that this was a very innovative design in that it separates the main compartment from the dedicated sleeping bag compartment but may also be fully opened to create a huge main compartment for when one is not packing a bag.

There is a secondary outer compartment that has a waterproof zipper and a full mesh inside pocket as well with a key ring clip. There is also a small outer pocket on top which drops into the main where I keep my cell and wallet. The two mesh side pockets can each hold a 32 oz. water bottle with ease and security. There a two side miscellaneous pockets for incidentals and a belt pocket perfect for a folded map for quick reference.

The suspension:
is really comfortable and well thought out. The "A-Slanted" belt is wide, and transfers as well as supports the weight very well. There were really times where I didnd feel the 25 lbs. that I was carrying. The back is well padded along with the lumbar area adding to the comfort level. The pack has a single aluminum bar/stay and has a tubular acetal support that is integrated around the perimiter of the pack offering good support. There is also a rigid sheet to prevent the back poke thing from happening. The shoulder straps are very well padded with a sternum strap for security.

Other features:
4 cinch straps (2 each side), 2 adjustable ice axe loops, a walking stick loop, a bungee system (on the model I have) located on the secondary outer compartment, adjustability is through-out the pack (shoulders, sternum, and all closures), hydration compatable, lifetime warranty.
Bottom line:

I don't know why Cerro Torre is not more well known. However from my use of this pack I can honestly say that this is a great pack for those who are not "weight weenies" and are looking for what folks say is "bomb proof".

Visit Cerro Torre's Delta 47L page.

For quick-and-light overnight trips, the Cerro Torre Delta 47L technical pack is loaded with exceptional features. The Delta 47L's medium volume makes it an excellent choice to carry the extra gear required for day-long winter snowshoeing and X-C excursions. Features a panel-loading main compartment with two additional pockets and a sleeping bag compartment for a quick overnight or a full day hike. Anatomic shoulder straps with adjustable load-lifter straps let you customize your fit according to the size of your load. Pre-molded anatomical internal frame with 3D foam pad provides ultimate comfort and breathability. A single aluminum stay helps support heavy loads. Side mesh pockets are great for smaller items such as a water bottles (sold separately), energy bars, compass or GPS unit. Front bungee cord provides extra storage capacity for lashing on rain jacket or an extra layer of clothing. Internal compartment holds hydration reservoir (sold separately) for hands-free drinking on the trail. Convenient bottom sleeping bag compartment with external zip entry. Made from durable 420-denier nylon and 1000-denier Kodra® nylon on the bottom to protect from inevitable bumps and bruises. Closeout.

Cerro Torre Delta 47L

The Delta 47L has been discontinued.

The Cerro Torre Delta 47L is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 17, 2006 at REI.