These shoes are great for hiking in or on the water.

Summary

These shoes are great for hiking in or on the water.

Pros

• Comfortable for the limited purpose of hiking in or near water or wet areas
  • Drains well

Cons

• Not much cushion and limited usefulness

I got this shoe because I hike around and in shallow portions of some rivers and lakes in my area. I also take my dog to a dog park that borders the bay so I needed a pair of shoes like the Chacos to go in the water to play with my dog. He loves to swim and go into the water to fetch things.

These shoes have limited use because they are not well cushioned to be useful for a long or medium hike. But they drain very well and dry out very quickly. The fit is awesome as well. After a day at the river or at the dog park, I can just bring them home, hose them off, and in 30 minutes they are dry.

So I highly recommend them for this limited purpose.

Thanks for the review, JJB. How long have you had your Chacos?

Hi JBB. How durable are the uppers?

JJB

I've had the shoes for four months now. The uppers are very durable. They look like new with no wear or areas where it looks like they are wearing thin. I have worn them in river and stream beds and in the salt water in the bay and ocean. Just hosed them off and let them dry. They have not been adversely affected by the salt water or sand. The sole is intact with little wear thus far. But the shoe is minimalist and has little cushion in the sole.

I have a pair of Chaco sandals for canoing. These would seem better for portages vs. an open-toed sandal.

JJB

Based on my usage, I'd agree that would be a good use for them.