Chaco Z/2 Terreno

I've worn Teva basic water-type sandals for years…

Price Paid: 70 usd

I've worn Teva basic water-type sandals for years - the ones with the velcro straps. So when my Tevas wore out I got some Chacos (mailordered) because they looked like a heavy duty version of my old Tevas. Especially with that Vibram sole.

I got these sandals intending to use them for normal walking around, hiking, maybe some easy backpacks and the rare watersport.

After I got the Chacos I discovered that my size 10s weighed 40 ounces - nearly the weight of a light boot! Chaco specified a weight of 20 oz. I guess they didn't know the convention is for a pair of shoes. Actually I believe they followed the long standing, common tradition among gear makers and simply misrepresented the weight of their product. The weight is an issue for me as I have nerve damage in one foot, with greatly reduced function. The dang sandal is so heavy it causes my foot to drag a bit.

OTOH, the vibram sole looks like it came right off an old style Norwegian welt boot, so it is a tough sole. It's just too heavy for me.

Chaco learned their lesson and cut the weight of their next generation sandal by about 20% (claimed). The weight reduction was achieved entirely in the sole. So bye bye fancy Vibram sole.

Aside from the sole, the strapping system is problematic. No matter how I adjust the continuous multi-pass strap, it always tightens up as I walk and tends to strangle my big toe (these are the Z2s I'm reviewing). Toe-choke aside, the big toe strap also rubs me raw. I believe this is a not-uncommon experience with the Z2 Chacos. So, I need a Z1 without the toe choker - that might work for me.

Finally the pulled-up strap hangs down too long and drags along the ground. So then you have to either tuck it in (rubs you), cut it off (then it's too short to remove the sandal without it pulling out of buckle) or just live with it (gets dirty, abrasion damage).

Basically I hardly used these sandals for all the reasons above.

I'm going back to Tevas because:

1. velcro straps give me a better fit (one that doesn't change as I walk),

2. Tevas weighs 50% less than the newer trimmed down Chaco

3. Tevas cost half as much, so even though their sole is softer and wears faster, it's a wash since I can buy them twice as often.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Chaco Men's Z/2 Terreno Sandal (Fall 2005) - Free Shipping After you slip on a pair of Z/2 sandals by Chaco, you ll never again associate outdoor sandal with sloppy fit. The toe loop secures you to a new level of foot-cradling support, no matter your endeavor. The Z2 sandal by Chaco features an adjustable toe loop that adds an extra measure of security Custom one-of-a-kind sandals available for consumers Deep lugs for increased traction on loose surfaces TC-1 Vibram, non-marking rubber 8mm thick Weight of sandal with Terreno sole: 33oz (935g) - Men's US size 9

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

With a focus on forefoot control, the Chaco Z/2 features a wrap-around toe loop that keeps your feet locked to the footbed. Chaco's easily adjusted pull-through strap system features soft polyester webbing that dries fast and maintains a consistent fit, making the Z/2 an ideal choice for the most demanding endeavors. This is a discontinued style. Sizes are limited.

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

Chaco Z/2 Terreno Sandals wrap around your toes for a secure hold in rough terrain. Infinitely-adjustable polyester strapping system uses pull-through design to give you a secure fit while avoiding the bulk of extra buckles and straps. Buckles at ankles and wrap-around toe straps ensure the sandals stay on your feet. Topsoles are anatomically contoured with molded arches for all-day support and comfort, making them ideal for feet with moderate to high arches. Molded polyurethane topsole/midsole units offer durable, dependable cushioning. Non-marking VibramĀ® rubber outsoles feature close-set lug design for excellent slip resistance. Closeout.

- REI refers to the men's version

The Chaco Z/2 Terreno Sandal is perhaps the most secure sandal on the planet. Its Terreno outsole is ideal for activities that demand an extra measure of traction and comfort such as hiking, traveling, and long-distance walking.

- Backcountry Outlet refers to the men's version

Wrap around, adjustable toe loop provides an extra measure of forefoot stability. Terreno Outsole

- Massey's Outfitters refers to the men's version

Chaco Z/2 Terreno

The Z/2 Terreno has been discontinued.

The Chaco Z/2 Terreno is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 4, 2008 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new sport sandal, check out the best reviewed current models.