Coleman 229 Exponent Dual-Fuel Lantern

I have an old Coleman lantern, a 200 I think, and…

I have an old Coleman lantern, a 200 I think, and it works very well. Bright, reliable, easily adjusted, but too big for canoe trips. I also have an Exponent Peak One stove, similar in style to this little 229 lantern.  (Same colour, same pump I think.)

The stove is very good. It lights easily, runs for a good long time, puts out lots of heat and is very quiet. So I had high hopes for the lantern.

The first one I got suffered from what other reviewers have pointed out: You can't adjust the brightness, it was either on full or off. So I took it back, exchanged it, and the replacement works as it should, i.e. with a sensitive but perfectly workable adjustment from very dim to full brightness.

It doesn't come with a case or bag though, so I'm making a little waxed canvas sack lined with light rigid plastic and foam to protect it in my pack.

I don't like the Coleman plastic lantern boxes, they're bulky, crappy and expensive. I recommend this lantern, but if you get one that you can't adjust, take it back and exchange it. You should absolutely be able to adjust it down to a slight, almost silent, long-lasting glimmer.  I find can adjust mine to about 90% of full brightness which makes it run almost silently.

Hello out there ... This lantern does more than I…

Price Paid: 70$

Hello out there ... This lantern does more than I expected from it. So small and still very powerful. And the pieces are available if you ever need to replace one. Some say you have to pump it too often. Well, this lamp is only 24 cm tall ... Hey, what do you expect dude ... You like it because it's small and it delivers A LOT of light. But yes you will have to pump it sometimes. Considering it takes about 15 seconds to do it, that's a very good deal. To me, it's a very good product and I used it a lot already. Thanks.

Pros: Bright, compact in terms of white gas fuel lantern.

Price Paid: US $70

Pros: Bright, compact in terms of white gas fuel lantern.

Cons: have to pump it every 15-20 mins. It is very troublesome. More or less the condition in other model 229 Coleman lanterns.

No longer use it.

I just received this lantern from a friend in the…

Price Paid: gift

I just received this lantern from a friend in the USA (I live in the UK). It's a very small lamp, only 9.5" tall, holds about 8oz of fuel. Well made, lights very easily, and throws out a massive amount of light for its small size. It will burn Coleman/unleaded petrol, and a full tank gives around three hours of burn time at full output. Small enough for a side pouch on a backpack, I'm looking forward to using it on one= or two-night trips. A highly recommended bit of kit.

Coleman 229 Exponent Dual-Fuel Lantern

The 229 Exponent Dual-Fuel Lantern has been discontinued.

The Coleman 229 Exponent Dual-Fuel Lantern is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 9, 2012 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new fuel-burning lantern , check out the best reviewed current models.