Columbia OutDry Ex Eco Jacket

First ever jacket made from 100% recycled fabric from…

Price Paid: 149 cad

Summary

First ever jacket made from 100% recycled fabric from 100 plastic bottles. 100% breathable and waterproof.

Pros

• Breathable
  • Waterproof
  • White

Cons

• Made from plastic

The Columbia OutDry Ex Eco Rain Jacket is a 100% recycled jacket and is waterproof and lets you breath with ease compared to the other so called breathables.

I wore this jacket on chilly mornings while climbing multiple 1,000 feet plus on Quebec's IAT section hike. It performed magnificently and this is one of my pieces for the Triple Crown of hiking.

All my gear reviews have now been hiker tested during my recent 35 day hike on Quebecs very wild Appalachian Trail.

Good luck on all of your upcoming thru hikes, Adrian!

First ever? I've been seeing recycled plastic clothing for years. I'm sort of wondering about that claim. (Not saying it's untrue, just wondering.)

Columbia doesn't claim it's the first to use recycled materials, even 100%, but it does have other eco claims: "Our first high-performance environmentally friendly rain jacket with no PFCs intentionally used (may contain trace amounts). Waterproof, breathable, and fully seam sealed, the OutDry Extreme Eco Jacket is the ultimate earth-smart raingear. Dye-free fabric saves over 13 gallons of water per jacket in the manufacturing process while the 100% recycled fabric is made from 21 recycled plastic bottles." http://www.columbia.com/mens-outdry-ex-eco-jacket-1714271.html

Thanks for the picture, Adrian.

Adrian Redgwell

It is still my go to outer jacket for crazy weather. I have my base layer, wind jacket and rain jacket. If the temperature drops even further, I put a fleece as the 3rd layer and then the rain jacket. My puffy then stays dry to use at camp and night.

Sounds good, Adrian.