My first axe. When I started looking for an ice axe…

Price Paid: 90 EU

Summary

My first axe.

Pros

• Fully T-rated (not just the pick)
  • Good silicon grip
  • Fair price
  • Standard lease

Cons

• Somehow heavy
  • No protectors available

When I started looking for an ice axe I came across a lot of options for general mountaineering use, but not a single one included a sturdy technical grade one. I wouldn't know if a basic grade axe could withstand anything else than basically walking on soft snow so I really wanted a technical one but not something "exotic". So a hybrid axe it is!

DSC00042.jpg
For now it's just walking and cutting steps since I never encountered a glacier in Crete to give it a go on ice, but I feel confident when the time comes due to its full T-rating.

DSC00043.jpg
DSC00044.jpg
I've been using it for two winter. Sounds like a GoT thing right? (lol)

DSC00045.jpg

-15-03-2015-.jpg

Not the lightest one...I know.
DSC00040.jpg
"Handmade" protection.
DSC00016.jpg

BTW, do you guys think that BD's spike and pick protection will cover DMM's as well?
DSC00017.jpg

Feels comfortable enough to the hand, though it doesn't have the BD's ergonomics.
DSC00019.jpg

The silicon grip is great when cutting steps and somewhat insulating from cold as well. Just wish it had arm rest as option.
DSC00021.jpg

Forgot to mention that the leash is included as standard.

Excellent mountaineering axe for more technical use.

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: £30

Summary

Excellent mountaineering axe for more technical use.

Pros

• Good weight
  • Slight curve

This is a excellent lightweight mountaineering axe. It is very useful in all situations. It has a slight curve, making it excellent for swinging. It's worth practicing arrests with it if you aren't used to curved tools. It's comfortable in the hand and just all a round great mountaineering axe.

It works great on glaciers, and performs well on steep sow gullies. I couldn't be happier. I do wish it had an adjustable plastic handle.

DMM Cirque

No price on record.

The DMM Cirque is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering axe/piolet, check out the best reviewed current models.

Vargo Alcohol Fuel Bottle Review

ALPS Mountaineering Tasmanian 2 Review

Kelty Tioga Review

NiteCore HC30 Review

A night on Black Balsam Knob cut short...

REI Mountain 3 Review