Eddie Bauer First Ascent Frontpoint Jacket

men's
Garment weight 17.28 oz
Center back length 28.5"

It's bomb proof!!!  I got the large tall as a 6'1…

Price Paid: $124 got it on sale over half off

It's bomb proof!!!

I got the large tall as a 6'1 climbing/ mountaineer. I love the First Ascent line period and would recommend any of their stuff as i own many pieces and am still building.

Can't really complain, we are spoiled with so much…

Can't really complain, we are spoiled with so much good gear. I bought this a little big and should of went smaller even for under layers. It's got great movement repels water great too, me being ruff with it and glissading down slopes and gullies kept me dry and warm on windy ridges and it had a good price. Nice bright color keeps you visible.

This winter, I was looking to upgrade my shell. I…

Price Paid: $99 clearance

This winter, I was looking to upgrade my shell. I warm up very quickly when active and was having problems with breathability with my previous shell. My experience with other First Ascent products I purchased were all very positive and when I saw this jacket on clearance for $99 (reg. $299), I went for it.

The jacket is a hybrid of softshell and hardshell jackets. The 4-way stretch in the body allows for comfortable fit, water resistance and breathability while the WeatherEdge hardshell hood, shoulders and sleeves provide the waterproofing needed in these most exposed areas - while still breathing. It features an articulated hood, ergonomic pockets and internal headphone port for those who can't go without their music.

I have used this jacket right over my baselayer on sunny, warm trips and as my outerwear during 14- mile snowshoe trips in heavy, wet snow and have been drier than with any other jacket I have ever used.

As for fit, all FA gear I own runs long both in torso and sleeve. This is great for me being 6'2" with a 6'4" armspan. I purchased the Large Tall size and it's perfect. It does not untuck itself from beneath my climbing harness or work itself over my pack's waistbelt - all while having access to the pockets.

All-in-all:

-Very light weight and packable

-VERY dry (inside and out)

-Versatile and flexible (use for all wet-weather activities including climbing)

-Rugged - branches, ice, and rock scraping have not damaged it

-Large, ergonomic pockets stow gloves, hat and buff in one pocket - also are large enough for folded maps for quick access

-Downside - while having an articulated hood, there is no way to stow the hood when not needed

Overall: I love this jacket.

Manufacturer's Description refers to the men's version

The perfect outer layer for all mountain activities, especially in snowy, windy conditions. It’s all about the smart use of performance fabrics for peak efficiency. At the shoulders, hood, sleeves and hem, a 3-layer WeatherEdge Pro waterproof/breathable hardshell barrier (rated to 20,000mm/20,000g). In the body, a breathable, water- and wind-resistant, quick-drying softshell with 4-way stretch. Windproof throughout. The Hinge Hood accommodates a helmet and lets you turtle the collar whether the hood is up or down. And the easy-run zippers never leave you tugging to get it on or off. Machine wash.

Slim Fit: Cut closer to the body for a great, active fit with no bunching or binding.
Shoulders, Hood, Sleeves & Hem: 100% Polyester-DWR
Torso: 59% Nylon, 32% Polyester, 9% Spandex

Eddie Bauer Frontpoint Jacket - The perfect outer layer for all mountain activities?especially in snowy, windy conditions. It's all about the smart use of performance fabrics for peak efficiency. At the shoulders, hood, sleeves and hem, a 3-layer WeatherEdge Pro waterproof/breathable hard shell barrier (rated to 20,000mm/20,000g). In the body, a breathable, water- and wind-resistant, quick-drying soft shell with 4-way stretch. Windproof throughout. The Hinge Hood accommodates a helmet and lets you turtle the collar whether the hood is up or down. And the easy-run zippers never leave you tugging to get it on or off. Machine wash. . . . . . Watch Product Demo. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

- Eddie Bauer refers to the men's version

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Frontpoint Jacket

The First Ascent Frontpoint Jacket has been discontinued.

$249.00 (men's)

The Eddie Bauer First Ascent Frontpoint Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 17, 2012 at Eddie Bauer.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.