Eddie Bauer First Ascent Igniter Jacket

Hits the mark! There are an ever increasing number…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: About $100

Summary

Hits the mark!

Pros

• Fit
  • Warmth vs low weight
  • Value

Cons

• Nothing significant so far

There are an ever increasing number of "puffy" jackets out there these days, with down or synthetic fills, and at various weights, and higher (mostly) prices.  First Ascent recently tweaked their synthetic fill Igniter jacket and hit the nail on the head, for me. It's an especially good value, I think.

The biggest advantage for me of the revised design is the shift to a "regular" fit, better allowing layering underneath. The previous model was a little snug over layers than I preferred.  I'm 5'9" and about 180lbs, and generally wear a Medium, this included.

This jacket is hooded and has a bit more insulation than my other synthetic jacket, a Montbell Thermawrap (hoodless). I very much like that jacket too — it's super super light, but not for colder conditions where more than a sweater layer is needed.

The outer/inner fabrics are light and have a nice "feel." Will see how they fare re: durability. Pockets are nicely situated. The only thing I'd tweak is to add a zipper pull from the bottom, not just the top. That way it would be a bit easier to accommodate a rope when attached to a climbing harness.  Otherwise, it's pretty well dialed in for its intended use.

I'd recommend it

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All First Ascent Igniter Jacket versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the First Ascent Igniter Jacket. Read all reviews »

Eddie Bauer Men's First Ascent Igniter Jacket

The Eddie Bauer Men's First Ascent Igniter Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 24, 2013 at Eddie Bauer.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.