Eddie Bauer First Ascent Serrano Jacket

Versatile jacket — excels as a mid-layer, can be…

Versatile jacket — excels as a mid-layer, can be used as an outer layer in cool conditions.

• Wrist gaiters
  • Stretchy Polartec side panels
  • Eddie Bauer sales

I have had this jacket for a year now and have had the opportunity to test it to its limits.

First, why I wanted to write this review. This jacket is in a segment of the market that is highly congested. Almost every major gear maker has their hand in the mid-weight jacket market. To complicate things even more you have your option of fleece, down, synthetic, wool, etc... I feel this jacket puts itself ahead of the many others with a couple small, but appreciated extras....

1) Wrist gaiters

I often don't like wrist gaiters as I feel they cut off circulation, many are built too tight. These however feel really comfortable. They are backed by soft fleece and I have often used them alone to add some warmth if I've forgotten gloves/mittens. They are fully stitched in so no snow can wiggle its way up your wrist..

2) Side Polartec panels

Similar to pit zips, these panels can dump a lot of heat while keeping your jacket on. These are made with Polartec's Power Stretch fabric and they are REALLY stretchy. I found it hard to believe, but they allow a lot of natural movement with binding up the jacket. I found it increasingly helpful when ice climbing.

3) Fit.

Obviously this is a very personal thing and won't apply to everyone, but I love the fit of this jacket. For reference I'm 6 feet, 160 lbs and bought the large. I find Eddie Bauer and First Ascent clothing to be cut very slim and this jacket is no different.

I also love that they offer a 'tall' size as well, where the width doesn't increase, just the length. The bottom hem is elastic which I like better than a drawcord as well. The 20 denier ripstop is very soft as help when wearing it as a mid-layer to slide under another jacket.

Negatives: If you want to see this jacket's limits look no further than sharp rock or a good bushwacking session. It is clearly not made with that in mind though, and I haven't torn the shell at all in my uses.

Overall, you could find a very similar jacket made by Patagonia, TNF, MH, and the list goes on. I like the little extras, as well as the fact that Eddie Bauer often has great sales prices.

Also comes with a small storage sack, packs up real small and weighs nothing. It's a little thing but an extra little thing nonetheless!

-This jacket has 60g of Primaloft so you can compare that to others when shopping around. I have found it good to -10 Celcius as an outer layer, and about -16 Celcius as a mid-layer with a softshell outer layer.

Eddie Bauer Men's First Ascent Serrano Jacket

The Eddie Bauer Men's First Ascent Serrano Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 15, 2012 at Eddie Bauer.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.