Epperson Mountaineering Ridgeliner

I purchased this pack in 1998 for a trip to Alaska…

Design: Hybrid
Size: 8500 extended
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 80 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'2"

I purchased this pack in 1998 for a trip to Alaska and have now carried it about 700 miles, the longest single trip was 87 miles in five days. Due to the infinite adjustment of the suspension system and the capabilities of the horizontal compression system I must say this is the most comfortable pack I have ever worn -- the pack handles an 80 lb load as well as it does a 45 lb load (not me though). Materials and craftmanship are as good or better than any pack I've seen, such as 1000 D Cordura for the whole pack not just a little panel on the bottom. The hybrid design -- top loading & front access -- to a single compartment is outstanding and if I ever buy another pack it will be this design. A large pocket on each side of the pack is mounted on a panel and in turn the panels are straped together horizontally across the front of the pack by five straps which compress and stabalize the load. These straps also make a great place carry wet muddy Tevas. While the front access makes entry a snap, the top is a pocket large enough for most items you need during the day when hiking during the milder seasons and there is a map pocket on the underside of the top pocket. I have found this pack to be reasonably priced, extremly well made and designed, very durable, functional, and comfortable.