Eureka! Alpine Meadows

Best small tent ever... Most amazing small tent ever.

Summary

Best small tent ever...

Pros

• exceptionally roomy due to the middle hoop
  • very good design for all weather camping
  • light enough to backpack with

Cons

• not available anymore

image.jpg
Most amazing small tent ever.

My fly is finally dying due to sun exposure as it is now fragile and get rips easily. I desperately search for a new one on eBay only to be disappointed day after day, but I will keep trying because this is probably the best tent ever made

Countless Boy Scout hikes and then I used it for sca 30+ events a year until I got my yurt, five two-week pennsics in August and Pennsylvania have finally taken their toll on the fly.

I bought this tent in the late '80s and just returned…

Design: freestanding modified A-frame
Ease of Setup: fairly easy
Weight: 8+ lbs.
Price Paid: can't remember

Summary

I bought this tent in the late '80s and just returned from a trip to far Eastern Maine where we had a night of heavy rain and thunderstorms with heavy downpours on 2 nights. We stayed dry despite the water running under the floor of the tent.

I used it extensively for canoe tripping for 10+ years and it is a great tent for that purpose. The center hoop gives the tent great headspace and makes it much more comfortable to hang out in when the weather is bad. The fly overhang allows for some window ventilation even in the rain. These days I am car camping with kayaks and an air mattress, and will probably hand this tent on to my stepson.

It has withstood heavy use and I once even put it through a washing machine after an incident with a dog. (No more dog camping ever!) Two years ago while car camping a pole was bent by a car driving over it -- I'm still using that pole.

After many memorable trips, the fly has stretched and the waterproof coating has begun to stick to itself, so I'm shopping for another tent, but I would strongly consider purchasing this tent again. I love the blue floor with gray fly -- no orange tents for me. A great tent.

This tent has seen significant use in the 15 years…

Design: 3-Season A-Frame
Ease of Setup: Very easy setup
Weight: Approx. 9lbs.

Summary

This tent has seen significant use in the 15 years I've owned it. Though rated for three seasons, most of my trips have been in windy, wintery conditions and the Alpine Meadows has surely been put to the test. It has never let me down.

As one reviewer implied, attaching the optional vestibules (two work better than one) makes the tent very wind/rain-friendly, as does staking carefully to keep the structure taut. The unusual middle "hoop" pole is a successful design that seems to have actually made the tent sturdier by tightening the wall fabric, despite placing the walls at a steeper angle to the ground.

The tent — which truly sleeps four comfortably — survived a recent weekend of constant deluge and heavy wind, and kept all four of us dry. However, the taping on the floor has loosened and the stitching has begun to disintegrate. This is not a practical repair for a tent of its age. Its replacement will be the Alpine Meadows Outfitter 4, which is of the same design, but is built with heavier fabrics. It has recently become available, as the Alpine Meadows had been discontinued.

Similar to the well-known Timberline, The Alpine Meadows differs not only in the hoop pole design, but in the fact that it has doors with full windows on both ends. This makes it very convenient and well-ventilated, particulary when using two vestibules.

My gripes have been minor — the zippers could be beefier and designed to catch less fabric (supposedly addressed in the Outfitter model) and bottom-only cross-ventilation could have been made possible.

While neither the lightest nor the most modern tent out there, the Alpine Meadows has proven itself as a reliable, durable, welcome shelter. I'd rate it 4.5 stars, and I'd recommend it to all.

Best camping tent I have seen or used over 30 years…

Summary

Best camping tent I have seen or used over 30 years in 4-season use: monsoon downpours, snow, high wind, both 2-man and a 4-man. Never had the problems others had with their wide variety of tents. I pine for its discontinued presence.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Weather proof
  • Straightforward setup
  • Good for 4 seasons

Cons

• After 20 years, zipper issues

With some of the improvements made for tents today, they could be applied to the Alpine Meadows design: snaps instead of hooks, faultless zippers, maybe in the polyester fiber makeup. If I had known this tent was to be discontinued, I'd have bought six more to pass along to my other children and grandchildren.

My son and I in wilderness canoe camping for six years used these tents with take down and setup everyday for 10 days each outing. Then there was the year long use in four-season weekend outings. With other camping companions we were considered to be living in luxury with our tent. We occasionally had to setup in downpours so heavy that it was almost impossible to raise the tent and fly from the beating, but ours was always the first up and frequently the only dry tent. Sometimes we had boarders in those events.

Snow always slid off, and high wind would waffle the fly to the extreme, but always held. When we had several days of rain and had to pack a wet fly and tent, we were never wet inside the tent. This was possible as we followed the advice that you sleep in a dry bath tub liner inside the tent. Tent mfg's. say nay to this as it may degrade the floor coating. Never happened over 30 years of use.

We protected the outside of the tent with a tough under pad and lined the inside with a lightweight PVC tarp which was oversized so that it could be raised at the tent edges had held in place by our equipment. Today you need to get 1-2 PVC clear tablecloth covers which can be seamed with a small swipe of PVC pipe cleaner primer.  PVC is better than polyethylene as it is flexible, not slippery, and mold resistant.

Sometimes in the summer heat the tent needed to be oriented to catch the breeze front to back.

The one replacement I had to make was for the fly hoop, which was aluminum tubing originally. When I kinked it, @#$%^, the replacement Eureka sent was fiberglass, better I think.

Welcome to Trailspace, Harv. Do you have any pics you could share with us?

Welcome to Trailspace, Harv! Do you still have your Alpine Meadows tent and use it? It sounds like it has served you well.

Bought this tent back in 1988 and have used it steadily…

Price Paid: $87 on closeout sale

Summary

Bought this tent back in 1988 and have used it steadily ever since. Still get wistful looks from others when I set up at Boy Scout events. Wish it was still made. Center hoop best idea ever.

Pros

• Spacious
  • Works well for East Texas weird seasons.

Cons

• No longer available
  • Original bag was flimsy as taffeta

Would love to get another one for each of my Scouts. Sturdy and ease of setup make it a winner.

Welcome to Trailspace, Tim. I'd love to see some pictures of your Alpine Meadows in your review, if you're willing to share them.

I've had my Alpine Meadows 4 for 28 years! It's been…

Price Paid: i don't remember

Summary

I've had my Alpine Meadows 4 for 28 years! It's been a great tent and I have used it for three-season camping regularly. Unfortunately, the kids have put a tear in the tent floor and this past summer I was forced to buy a new tent.

Pros

• Great design
  • Just the perfect tent!

Cons

• No longer available

Almost 30 years old...still love it! A little heavy for backpacking, but if you split up the poles from the tent two people can pack it in easily. Easy to set up. Roomy. Truly fits four with gear. Three-season. Tolerates wind well.

Can't brag enough about it.

Note: I would like to help out other Alpine 4 owners keep their tents in use. I am selling the poles, fly, and vestibule, together or individually, to anyone in need.

Welcome to Trailspace, Alisa. Tears in tent floors can be mended with a product called Gear Aid (the tape, not the seal sealer). I've done that with a family tent we own.

Hi Alisa. I recommend posting your sales offer in our Classifieds forum: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/classifieds/

I have proudly owned this tent for thirty years. Got…

Summary

I have proudly owned this tent for thirty years. Got it when I was 17. It will have to be pried from my hands when I am gone!

• Great vestibule
  • Excellent ventilation

Cons

• Spine poles too long

I have used it for 30 years. All you need is a decent ground sheet, 6 tent pegs, and a pillow.

After 26 years, it's still a terrific tent! I bought…

Summary

After 26 years, it's still a terrific tent!

Pros

• Light
  • Strong
  • Easy to set up
  • Roomy
  • Great climber's tent

Cons

• Unavailable now

I bought mine in 1987 and it is still going strong. I bought an after-market Easton aluminum center hoop, and that brought the weight to just under 5 lbs.

I am a serious climber and have used it extensively in the Tetons, Sierras, Rockies, and New England winters. It has easily handled heavy snow (3+ ft) and wind (50 mph). I used it again last summer on the Lower Saddle in the Tetons and had the usual reaction from other climbers: "What a cool tent!"  "Where can I get one?"  "It's how old?"

We had a good night while the notorious Lower Saddle winds were demolishing a number of other climbers' tents.  I wish Eureka would produce it again.

First off, I must have a different model than one…

Design: Modified A-frame, 3.5 seasons
Ease of Setup: Easy for one person
Weight: About 7 pounds
Price Paid: $50 (used)

First off, I must have a different model than one reviewer with prebent hoop poles. Mine uses plain straight, shock corded fiberglass sections that assume the curved shape when inserted into the sleeves. So, it rolls up and packs into a carry bag the same as a Timberline 4.

I have owned and liked a Timberline 4. This Alpine Meadows 4 is identical except for the extra body and fly fabric fitting around the bulge created by the hoop in the middle. It creates truly appreciated head and shoulder room and makes it possible to have a chair inside because the walls are more dome-like.

This is definitely an improved version of the Timberline 4, in my opinion. I count myself very lucky to have just found one in such pristine condition It is a pity that Eureka! ceased making it.

I purchased this 2 man tent in 1991. It has been used…

I purchased this 2 man tent in 1991. It has been used for motorcycle camping trips. In my opinion it is perfect for this use. With the vestibule attached it is fine for two persons. Love the center hoop. Makes the tent bigger inside as compared to the Timberline.

After many trips it is showing signs of wear. Would love to buy another one but Eureka stopped making them for some reason.

It's easy to set up. The fly stays away from the sides…

Design: a-frame with middle hoop
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 12 lb

It's easy to set up. The fly stays away from the sides except in a monsoon, and the vestibule makes even the rainiest weekends wonderful.

It's not a backpacking tent as the poles are long and plentiful, but it's a great "car camping" tent with plenty of room for four if necessary.

This tent has been in my possession for 9 years and…

Design: Modified A 3 Season
Ease of Setup: An easy 5 minute without wind add 10 additional with adverse conditions.
Weight: 6.7 LBS

Summary

This tent has been in my possession for 9 years and has been pampered and refitted several times with new pole segments.

The Eureka Alpine Meadows tent has a special center hoop which can be hard to transport because of its pre-bent shock-corded segments. I have used it in moderate snow but don't think it would survive a heavy blizzard. I have allways had room for myself and my better half plus gear.

The rain fly could be larger with pre-attached vestibule so it would resist the wind better.

All in All it was and still is a Great Buy.

A F Wiggs, Knightdale, N.C. 27545

Definitely for fair weather...Lots of room and easy…

Design: 3 seasons of good weather
Ease of Setup: Easy...5 minutes
Weight: 6lbs

Summary

Definitely for fair weather...Lots of room and easy to set up, but it's a skyscraper of a tent and catches even the slightest breeze. Will NOT withstand even a moderate blow.

The smallest profile set into the wind exposes the area of the tent not protected by the fly to the rain. Maybe the optional vestibule would help this.

This tent was completely destroyed during a windstorm in northern Scotland, of course in the middle of the night. I will never use another tent that does not have a fly which completely protects the entire tent.

very roomy. easily setup in any conditions. the vestabule…

Design: 3 season +
Ease of Setup: easy set up, free standing.
Weight: 6 lbs

very roomy. easily setup in any conditions. the vestabule (seperate) is very large and holds the men's gear. it is very easy to put on. i would also like to comment on the extra pole in the center of the tent that makes use of the extra tent fabric.

I've never been a fan of dome tents (hexagonal floor…

Design: 4 Season A-Frame with Center Hoop
Ease of Setup: Relatively easy (3-5 minutes)
Weight: Approx. 6 lbs

I've never been a fan of dome tents (hexagonal floor space is inefficient), and A-Frame tents have poor headroom (those steeply slanted walls). This tent is an excellent compromise. It is essentially a Timberline with an added center hoop that pulls out the walls of the tent, dramatically increasing interior space. A good tent for the money.

Eureka! Alpine Meadows

The Alpine Meadows has been discontinued.

The Eureka! Alpine Meadows is not available from the stores we monitor.

Vargo Alcohol Fuel Bottle Review

ALPS Mountaineering Tasmanian 2 Review

NiteCore HC30 Review

A night on Black Balsam Knob cut short...

REI Mountain 3 Review