Eureka! Scorpion

Great vestibules, spacious, heavy. The setup is easy…

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: $30 used

Summary

Great vestibules, spacious, heavy.

Pros

• Spacious
  • Large double vestibules
  • Two doors

Cons

• Heavy
  • Weak taped seams

01111_dkiMEfjgaCN_600x450.jpg

00w0w_9nPFiW11eeo_600x450.jpg

00U0U_7wNAOedALcq_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_3OwkQ4xVERx_600x450.jpg

The setup is easy after first use. The tent uses a central pole "hub" located on the top of the tent. The 4 main poles plug into the hub and radiate out down to the corners. The poles have a bend in them that creates a more vertical wall, expanding head and foot room.

The pitch was rather taut without the guy lines. With guy lines, the tent is very taut and strong. The tent is very spacious with head room to spare and enough room for two large cold weather bags.

The taped seams were coming undone, but the tent is most likely 10+ years old.

Ventilation is not an issue if you open both fly doors and then unzip both interior doors at top. The vestibules still have an adequate awning to keep water out of the tent even when completely zipped open. In winter, I suspect that ventilation would be more of a problem since you'd probably not want to leave the doors open. The top of the tent does have a zip open ceiling section but the fly has no ventilation without opening the doors.

The tent packs down quite large (approximately 30 in x 10 in). It is surprisingly heavy. After reading the reviews that the tent is 7.5 pounds, I was taken aback when I first hefted the tent. It felt heavier than my Trango 2 by Mountain Hardwear which is 9lb. 13oz.

I am very dubious about the weight that other reviewers offered. Please be advised on this! I would find this tent very difficult to haul in on a solo trip, but would be manageable if split in two.

There are two 6-in mesh pockets for storage and an optional mesh net loft you can tie on - so the tent is lacking stow pockets.

Welcome to Trailspace, Go Time. Thanks for sharing your Scorpion review with us. I'd love to see some pictures of your tent in you review, especially as no one else has shared any of it yet.

Nice, pictures! Thanks for adding them, Go Time. I even used one for the product page. Hope that was OK with you.

of course!

DrPhun

On the weight, they often leave out things like stakes, guylines, and the footprint, when they give the weight. 4 season tents can come with a lot of stakes.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

Right you are sir. I did take out stakes to minimum for 4 corners and 4 for the fly and it was still a tank. I own the Sierra Night Watch CD which weighs in at about 7 pounds.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

This tent even without the stakes is considerably more heavy than my SD with stakes.

Great stable tent with tons of room due to the near…

Design: four season mountaineering
Ease of Setup: set-up was easy, even in the dark

Great stable tent with tons of room due to the near vertical walls, easy set-up and very strong with many guy points. Enough room for two campers...we stuffed lots of wet gear into the vestibules. Looks like it should last a while, materials and sewing seem good and the poles are very beefy.

Very good, easy to set up tent. not much ventilation…

Design: 4 seasons expedition rectangular
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: 7.13 lb
Price Paid: 400 cnd

Very good, easy to set up tent. not much ventilation since it's a 4 season tent, so it gets very hot if used in the summer. Very solid tent, with two large vestibule at each end. excellent choice money/quality wise.

Awesome tent. Just available since Feb. '98. I got…

Design: 4 season, Rectangular footprint
Sleeps: 2+
Ease of Setup: 5 minute set-up, including guys
Weight: 7 lb. 11 oz.

Awesome tent. Just available since Feb. '98. I got the first one from the factory. Overnight trip last weekend and I was very impressed. 13.5 mm aircraft aluminum poles, taped fly, 2 doors, dual vestibule, plenty of room for 2 + gear. Steep walled, retangular design with a high roof allowed me to stand up while changing clothes. Dual vestibules were large enough to store everyone's packs (4) in our group. Easy set-up.....Had a light rain that night and we never even knew it.

Eureka! Scorpion

The Scorpion has been discontinued.

The Eureka! Scorpion is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.