evolv Cruzer

This is a great casual shoe that also does quite well…

Summary

This is a great casual shoe that also does quite well on the approach. It is very comfortable to wear all day, and very lightweight on harness or in the pack.

Pros

• Minimalist look is nice for casual use

Cons

• Marking sole
  • Stitching came undone
  • Sole wears quickly

I have used this shoe for two summers in Europe and for everyday casual use for two years. In that time I have gone through two pairs.

I got this shoe to replace Sanuks, my previous casual shoes which the sole came off of in Vidin province of Bulgaria (ie the poorest/most remote/least industrialized region of the poorest/least industrialized country in Europe). I wasn't going to let that happen again, traipsing through the Balkans in duct tape soled shoes.

I got these shoes when I returned in the 'slate' color. Evolv has been having problems with this canvas fabric changing color, and when they began turning a light-purple-going-orange type of color from a few months of Arizona sun. I returned these and got a new pair.

The new pair was the same but the color did not fade. The shoe was comfortable, (fits a little bit snug and narrow, I usually go 12 or 45.5 in Scarpa casual shoes in casual shoes for a tight fit and take a 13 in these). I picked the shoe mainly becuase of how it looks, simply and low profile. The toe rand looks a little odd and people ask what type of shoes they are, but many people compliment them. The two-part tongue design it excellent, as it doesn't go to the side like most of my other shoes. The rubber sole grips very well, but does mark and wear quickly.

The shoes have a pretty minimalist design. They are lightweight and pretty basic construction. Rubber sole, foam cushion and footbed, foam insole, lined canvas upper.

The first pair was great, but for summer 2013 I got a new pair because the old ones were getting to be pretty well used.

The new pair has also been great, but it is beefed up a little since the first model. The differences are it has a dual density insole and the lined canvas upper has a foam between the lightweight inner liner and canvas. It is slightly heavier but not noticeable, and it holds its shape better than the old model, which had little structure in the upper.

If you've owned or used an evolv Men's Cruzer, please share your experience.