ExOfficio Insect Shield Convertible Pant

Used for the entire duration of my Appalachian Trail…

Summary

Used for the entire duration of my Appalachian Trail thru-hike in 2012. Developed a hole in the crotch after, but hey... hiking ain't a beauty contest.

Pros

• Extremely durable
  • Convertible
  • Moisture-wicking
  • Insect Shield?

Cons

• Developed hole after about 1700 miles

I had these pants from Springer to Katahdin, and couldn’t have been happier with my purchase of these. They survived butt-scooting down steep rock faces in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, constantly sitting on sharp rocks in Pennsylvania, countless rain storms, countless heat waves, gallons of sweat and only a single hole in the crotch after all that nonsense. Not a big deal though, thru-hiking ain't a beauty contest.

I loved being able to switch from pants to shorts whenever I wanted. Anytime you can keep your pack weight down to a minimum is a good thing, and so not having to carry an extra item of clothing is wonderful.

I'm not sure if the "Insect Shield" actually worked or not, but I don't really care either way. I didn’t really notice if this particular brand was popular with other hikers, but I sure enjoyed them.

Definitely get something of this type of fabric though, it’s very quick drying and ideal for thru-hiking.

ExOfficio Insect Shield Convertible Pant

The Insect Shield Convertible Pant has been discontinued.

The ExOfficio Insect Shield Convertible Pant is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 18, 2015 at OMCgear.

If you're looking for a new hiking pant, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Sheila, Winner of a Year's Worth of Nikwax