Feathered Friends Helios Jacket

When I show my friends the stuff sack and then pull…

Fabric: nylon
Fill: down
Price Paid: ~$225

When I show my friends the stuff sack and then pull this jacket out of it, they are stunned. When I hand the jacket to them and they see how light it is, they are stupefied. My kids call it my marshmallow coat and know that winter is truly here when I pull it out of the closet for the first time.

The size L, which I have, weighs about 15 oz. Cut is very close - but not binding - and length goes just past my waist and I find the coat riding up at times. I wish the length were a little longer. I am 6'0" with a long torso, although the rest of the coat fits fine. Unfortunately, I think I am in the middle of L and XL sizes due to torso length.

Love the zipless, well designed, warm pockets light weight and true warmth.

Do not love the small inside zip pocket (pretty much only good to hold the stuff sack) or length of the coat. The nylon outer layer is thin and may be a concern for equipment abusers.

But, I would buy this coat again in a heartbeat. The warmth that the 750 fill provides is amazing and it is the perfect item to pull out on the trail at the end of a cold day. The jacket stuffs down to a negligible size and expands, when pulled out, to trap A LOT of air. If you want a warm, lightweight jacket, this is the one.

This is a great all around backpacking jacket. Warm…

Fabric: Epic
Fill: down

This is a great all around backpacking jacket. Warm but very lightweight with pockets and fabric options (I went waterproof). This jacket packs a lot of warmth and protection in a very small package. It's helped me through some pretty serious wet and cold Rocky Mountain weather.

If you've owned or used a Feathered Friends Helios Jacket, please share your experience.

Feathered Friends Helios Jacket

The Feathered Friends Helios Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 26, 2007 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.