Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka

Fill Weight 21.4 oz
Average Weight 46.5 oz

When you need the very best. Feathered Friends has…

Summary

When you need the very best.

Pros

• Very warm, compact, and lightweight
  • Absolutely wind proof and waterproof
  • 6+ inches of loft
  • Articulated arms
  • Gore Dry Loft shell
  • Double front zipper
  • Baffled construction
  • Warmest parka ever (and I have had a lot!)

Cons

• Only wish I had bought it sooner.

Feathered Friends has been in business for around 30 years or so, now. They make excellent down filled clothing and sleeping bags for expedition use. I recently purchased their Rock and Ice Parka to replace my old NF Himalayan Parka, with its original brown tag.

I found the FF parka so much better and warmer while still being light weight and compact. It had extra length in the back along with all the options expected on a genuine expedition parka: baffle construction, articulated sleeves, large interior water bottle pockets, draw cords and storm cuffs around the waist and a double zipper system to avoid cold spots in the torso. Mine is XL which seems true to size. The materials are strong but light weight and the entire parka packs down surprisingly small.

The loft is about six inches or so. I laid it down alongside my Canada Goose Snow Mantra Parka and found the FF one to be loftier, especially considering the CG Parka is mostly non-insulated pockets and several layers of reduntant fabric. Comparing the warmth, the Rock and Ice wins hands down.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not to mention the ease of movement while wearing it. In the Rock and Ice, my mobility is not restricted as in the CG and it does not feel like a straight jacket. The hood does up easily, again unlike the CG Snow Mantra, and my visibility is not restricted.

Overall, I would have to say that this is one of my best purchases and unlike so much gear out there these days, it does meet or exceed its hype. It is a high end, top notch expedition parka for those who need the ultimate in winter protection.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

Dang! That price though! I could buy 2 of my cars for that.

Hi North1:

After some years of experience would you still say the FF is much warmer than the Snowmantra? I would appreciate your comment on this.

How about the FF Icefall Parka—should be as warm as the rocj and ice or ?

THANKS a lot!!!

Steve

Hi North1: I like your report. Would you still say the FF rock and ice is the best ? By the way is it possible to cut off the hoodie so the jacket is more wearable in a normal situaion or ? And do you know if the icefall is as warm as the rock and ice ? THANKS Peter

Love this jacket! I cannot use words to say how beautiful…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Love this jacket!

Pros

• Warm!
  • Good length
  • So. Many. Pockets.

Cons

• Hood isn't detachable

I cannot use words to say how beautiful this warm parka is. I am warm. It is so hard to get warm. For a small, cold female, this is the solution to anything in winter. Camping in the snow? Yes. Summiting Everest...well, that's what it's meant for but I can't say that there is a product in existence that would do that for me.

However, this jacket is so good that I feel like I could test it in colder temps. I've never trusted a product enough to do that.

Downsides? It's not exactly a fashion piece. I have several nicknames from wearing it to work. My legs look like toothpicks coming out the bottom of the coat. People will hug you just to feel the squish. Wait, that's not a downside. But the velcro on the pockets can get a little stabby when the fabric is compressed and your putting your hands in the pockets. And it's hard to store in a closet.

But if you get blood on it, it beads up and will wash off without any aid. How do I know this? Hockey. And other ice games.

Thanks for the review, Tiny. As a fellow cold female, to what kind of temps do you take this parka down into?

Tiny Cold Bean

I have now taken it into -10! But in a controlled situation where I could go inside and get warm. If you're moving, say, playing hockey, you will probably overheat. But while sitting, if paired with equally warm down pants, this thing is a beast. You may feel a little cool on your....elbow pits? Is that a thing? But yes, the cold does go there a bit when it's negative Temps.

Thanks for the info, Tiny!