Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka

Fill Weight 21.4 oz
Average Weight 46.5 oz

When you need the very best. Feathered Friends has…

Summary

When you need the very best.

Pros

• Very warm, compact, and lightweight
  • Absolutely wind proof and waterproof
  • 6+ inches of loft
  • Articulated arms
  • Gore Dry Loft shell
  • Double front zipper
  • Baffled construction
  • Warmest parka ever (and I have had a lot!)

Cons

• Only wish I had bought it sooner.

Feathered Friends has been in business for around 30 years or so, now. They make excellent down filled clothing and sleeping bags for expedition use. I recently purchased their Rock and Ice Parka to replace my old NF Himalayan Parka, with its original brown tag.

I found the FF parka so much better and warmer while still being light weight and compact. It had extra length in the back along with all the options expected on a genuine expedition parka: baffle construction, articulated sleeves, large interior water bottle pockets, draw cords and storm cuffs around the waist and a double zipper system to avoid cold spots in the torso. Mine is XL which seems true to size. The materials are strong but light weight and the entire parka packs down surprisingly small.

The loft is about six inches or so. I laid it down alongside my Canada Goose Snow Mantra Parka and found the FF one to be loftier, especially considering the CG Parka is mostly non-insulated pockets and several layers of reduntant fabric. Comparing the warmth, the Rock and Ice wins hands down.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not to mention the ease of movement while wearing it. In the Rock and Ice, my mobility is not restricted as in the CG and it does not feel like a straight jacket. The hood does up easily, again unlike the CG Snow Mantra, and my visibility is not restricted.

Overall, I would have to say that this is one of my best purchases and unlike so much gear out there these days, it does meet or exceed its hype. It is a high end, top notch expedition parka for those who need the ultimate in winter protection.

Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka

The Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.