Garmin eTrex H

Dimensions 4.4 in x 2.0 in x 1.2 in / 11.2 cm x 5.1 cm x 3.0 cm
Display size 1.1 in x 2.1 in / 2.8 cm x 5.4 cm
Display resolution 64 x 128 pixels
Display type 4 level gray LCD

Up to recently I used a GPS 60, mainly for geocaching.

Up to recently I used a GPS 60, mainly for geocaching. My review is based on the comparison of these two GPS tools.

Pro for eTrex-H:
1) Indeed very sensitive. Even in buildings and in the jungle a GPS signal is received.
2) Low price.

Contra:
1) Waypoints have names of maximum only 6 characters. Geocaches have names of 7 characters. So, when uploading two caches with names that are equal in the first 6 characters, the second one replaces the first one and the first one is lost.
2) Only one screen is configurable with data fields of my own choice.
3) Text input is slow because of a 1-dimensional navigation.
4) It is not possible to add notes to waypoints.

First acquisition on any new location took about 30…

First acquisition on any new location took about 30 to 60 seconds but subsequent markings are literally a few seconds, including under tree coverage. This is better than Magellan 100 (my other unit that got lost).

Warning Do not buy this product. I didn't have this…

Warning Do not buy this product. I didn't have this GPS for more than one month. The second day of use while up moose hunting I left the unit on the counter overnite. It was about 20 degrees F. I went to use the unit and noticed that the plastic faceplate had cracked. Not abused as accused by Raytech and Garmin.

They both voided the warranty and to find this out I had to call them 1 1/2 months later to find out the status of my claim. They would not even contact me as to the status of the GPS.

I will not purchase anything from a company which in my opinion does not stand behind their product.

Garmin eTrex H

The Garmin eTrex H is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.