Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

Dimensions 2.2 in x 4.2 in x 1.2 in / 5.6 cm x 10.7 cm x 3.0 cm
Display Size 1.3 in x 1.7 in / 3.3 cm x 4.3 cm
Display resolution 176 x 220 pixels
Display type 256 level color TFT

Great GPS! Have used this on many many occasions.

Great GPS! Have used this on many many occasions.

Plotted a 35 mile kayak trip down river with help of software and internet with relative ease.

Tracked progress and trails for off-road park in NH. Used tracks from a day of driving through brush and creating trails to overlay onĀ  map and show where we had been. Very cool!

Will be trying with AMC White Mt. Guide on-line this year for starting to tackle the four thousand footers.

Have not had any issues with reception or accuracy despite being in gorges.

Having the backlit screen is a necessity, having it in color is fun.

This is definitely waterproof, it has taken many unplanned plunges off of the kayak.

I would recommend getting the caribiner attachment, it certainly aids in the convenience factor.

I've been messing with my eTrex for about 2 years.

I've been messing with my eTrex for about 2 years.

Good points: The Legend HCx seems to be waterproof, seems to be pretty rugged, can hold a MicroSD chip to store maps, has a color screen, and works well in the outdoors.

Minus points: the newer Garmin GPSes have bigger screens, so are easier to read than my eTrex.

The controls are fairly easy to use once you figure them out, but the instruction sheets are cryptic. Better instructions are needed.

It would be nice to have a more comfortable neck strap, as the supplied strap is narrow.

I haven't messed with the geocache features yet, just with route finding in the boonies. I went off trail in an open area, and could find my way back to the starting point without problems. I haven't tried navigating in a forest yet.

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

The Garmin eTrex Legend HCx is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.