Garmin GPSMAP 76S

Dimensions 2.7 in x 6.2 in x 1.2 in / 6.9 cm x 15.7 cm x 3.0 cm
Display size, WxH 1.6 in x 2.2 in / 4.1 cm x 5.6 cm)
Display resolution 180 x 240 pixels
Display type 4 level gray LCD
Weight 7.7 oz / 218 g with batteries
Battery 2 AA batteries (not included)
Battery life 16 hours
Waterproof yes (IPX7)
Floats yes
High-sensitivity receiver no
Interface serial

The Garmin 62s is great for navigating the outdoors.

Price Paid: About $400 CAN

The Garmin 62s is great for navigating the outdoors. It works far better than the my previous Garmin 76s which would lose its signal under the canopy of the trees.

The 62s is very powerful, capable of pulling in a signal even when confined to my office. Outside it has no problems at all locating satellites exceptionally fast. The controls are very simple and user friendly, yet does a variety of necessary functions. For mapping, the area calculator is great and does a fine job.

The best thing of all is its performance in the cold. I have hung this little instrument, by its convenient carabiner, from my snow machine when route finding and it is always able to show me where I am. Unlike the 76s which would not function in the cold.

It was expensive, but for its cold tolerance alone it is well worth the money.

I got this from the in-laws at Christmas last year.

I got this from the in-laws at Christmas last year. This is a neat gadget that is user-friendly. It has helped me out several times. I elk hunt here in Colorado and it is easy to get turned around. Some GPS units are too complicated. This one is not, and works well. Highly recommend it.

Visit Garmin's GPSMAP 76S page.

Garmin GPSMAP 76S

The GPSMAP 76S has been discontinued.

The Garmin GPSMAP 76S is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 1, 2008 at Beyond Outside.

If you're looking for a new gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.