User Review: Gerber Big Rock Camp Knife
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $39.45
Meant to slice and dice
- 440A SS
- not too big
- durable sheath
- benefit to have a flat (sqare) butt for hammering
- clasp needs maintenance
- could easily be a little 1/2" bigger
Excellent strength and durability, especially with the knife being one plate of steel all the way through the tang to the super strong lanyard hold hole.
The overmolded handle is very nice, almost gripping your hand as much as your grip it. A very good fit. Altogether the knife is just the perfect (relative) size.
Sheath, is also a great fit for the knife with a belt loop that holds it just right at slightly above belt height. The clasp / press stud lock will need a little maintenance to reduce corrosion and is at a perfect position for quick release with thumb.
For any improvements,
- it could have a sharpener pouch with stone built into the sheath.
- the blade could benefit by being 1/2" long to then be 5" long
- A flatter end section on the butt, for hammering and the lanyard tie underneath or recessed a little
Yes, I do recommend and would buy again at REI.