GoLite Quest

The Quest is one of three full-suspension backpacking, trekking, and mountaineering packs in GoLite’s Venture Series. The Venture packs (Pursuit, Quest, and Odyssey) feature internal frame sheets that can accommodate 40-, 50-, and 60-pound loads and are all 3-liter hydration-compatible.

The Quest is designed for all-season backpacking, mountaineering, alpinism, and adventure travel, and hauls 60 pounds comfortably, while weighing just three. It features two side hydration openings and an internal hydration sleeve; a front pocket to hold a shovel, shovel handle, skins, or probe; a removable lid with welded watertight zipper for the top pocket; two angled side mesh pockets; the ability to carry skis, snowboards, or snowshoes using side compression straps; a frame sheet with two adjustable aluminum stays; a shaped back panel and hip wings with padding to contour the back and hips; and contoured, compression molded hip wings that cushion and cup the hips.

The Quest uses GoLite’s ComPacktor system, which lets you reduce the pack’s volume through two fixed compression anchor clips that convert a multi-day pack into a day-tripper.

Use all-season backpacking, mountaineering, alpinism
Women’s available in Small and Medium
- Capacity 4000 cu in, compacts to 1300 cu in
- Weight 3 lb (1360 g)
Men’s available in Medium and Large
- Capacity 4250 cu in, compacts to 1500 cu in
- Weight 3 lb 2 oz (1410 g)

I used the Quest this summer for five months straight…

Price Paid: can't remember

I used the Quest this summer for five months straight when I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (2,650 miles). The pack served me well.

It is sturdy — no rips or failed straps. It's lightweight. It holds all the stuff I needed for up to five-day sections. It fit me well and was generally comfortable.

It's failing for me was insufficient padding in the shoulders. I solved that by taping additional foam strips to the shoulder straps.

I ordered the Quest with the intent of lightening…

I ordered the Quest with the intent of lightening my entire pack load, including the pack itself. The Quest weighs in at just over 3 lbs, which is about half of some backpacks. That light weight comes with the understanding that you're not getting 20 compartments.  However, it's got all I need in a weekend backpack.

The main compartment is roomy.  The front panel compartment is large and very convenient for items you need to keep handy.  The Quest has handy pockets in the hip belt that can easily hold a small camera, pocketknife, compass, or whatever.

I have heard complaints that Nalgene bottles have a tendency to fall out of the side pockets when one bends over.  I have not found this to be the case.

The ability of the side compression straps to join across the front is really handy for attaching external gear in a variety of ways.

I typically use this pack for weekend trips of 2 nights. It is comfortable with loads of 30 lbs or less.  My last trip was a 36 lb load. I had to go heavy on water. That really pushed the comfort limit. The shoulder and hips are not padded for that kind of load.

I have also hiked with this pack in light rain.  The rain came down for 3 hours, and the contents of the pack stayed dry.  I don't like the "shiny" material of the pack, though.

Everything considered, I highly recommend this pack for the money.

So it is light, but this was one of the first real…

Number of Pockets: A few
Max. Load Carried: 30 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'8"

So it is light, but this was one of the first real packs I invested in.

I got it a week before an international trip, and when I packed my bag 2 days before my trip and put it on my back, the shoulder strap ripped out with almost no effort. I was shocked and very disappointed.

Fortunately the bros at Backcountry.com met me near the airport with a replacement bag the day of my trip to make the switch (great customer service, but it was also cause he was my friend and helped out, I don't think they will do this for everyone).

The replacement pack was the same, so I was SUPER careful on treating it like tissue paper so I could get through the trip with it. When I got back, as soon as I put any pressure the new one failed again.

Since then I bought an Osprey Atmos and fell in love with it, travel all over around the world with it and no matter how hard I treat it, it stays strong. I learned what a real pack should be like.

I love this pack. Works great for 20-30 pound loads.

Size: Medium
Max. Load Carried: 30 pounds
Height of Owner: 5-8

I love this pack. Works great for 20-30 pound loads.

GoLite Men's Quest

The GoLite Men's Quest is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 30, 2013 at CampSaver.com.