GoLite Roan Plateau 800 Fill Down Jacket

Was camped out in subzero weather. This jacket keep…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Was camped out in subzero weather. This jacket keep me warm all weekend. I was concerned that that the weight and thickness was not going to hold true to the rating but I was very warm and with the exeption of when the snow fall became hard I never used a shell over it!

Pros

• Weight - very light
  • Warmth
  • Packs down to very small space

Cons

• In heavy snow fall shell could be necessary to keep dry
  • Pockets are small

I was able to move easily, setting up tents, cooking, working around camp wearing the Plateau. We had a very wet and heavy snow fall and did not want to risk the down getting wet so added a light weight shell on top to keep it dry but in the light dryer snow fall it did great.

The strong points are LIGHT WEIGHT, warmth, and packs down to less than my down vest. I will make this my go-to jacket for all my hut trips, spring, fall and winter backpacks.

Recommendation- Worth the $ I think you'll be very pleased! I was.

Jacket is warm and has nice features not found in…

Summary

Jacket is warm and has nice features not found in all jackets.

Pros

• Elastic wrist cuffs
  • Fabric around neck

Cons

• Long for my torso
  • Stuff sack instead of pack into pocket

I'm 5'7", 170lbs and the medium fits good.  Enough movement through the shoulders and room for two layers underneath.  The neck can be zipped all the way up and still be comfortable. The soft fabric around the inside of collar feels nice and prevents chaffing.

I like the extended sleeve length on the outside and the wide jacket cuffs.  The length is a little long compared to most jackets but with the elastic cinch cord around the waist it is not a problem.  Would be perfect for someone more average height.

Couple ounces heavier than several down jackets used for layering but this is more of a final layer jacket. Comes with a stuff sack.

I bought it on sale for $99.99 and at that price I don't think it can be beat.

If you've owned or used a GoLite Roan Plateau 800 Fill Down Jacket, please share your experience.

GoLite Roan Plateau 800 Fill Down Jacket

The Roan Plateau 800 Fill Down Jacket has been discontinued.

The GoLite Roan Plateau 800 Fill Down Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 12, 2013 at GoLite.com.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.