Gossamer Gear The One

This shelter is outstanding! I could not be more happy…

Design: three season, non-freestanding
Ease of Setup: From 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest. 5.5.
Weight: 19.5oz. with six stakes, and a polycryo ground cloth.

This shelter is outstanding! I could not be more happy with it. (well, I could, but I'll get into that later)

It is ultralight, provides full bug protection and wonderful weather resistance. The bathtub floor is big enough for my regular sized neo-air mattress, and leaves plenty of room to my left for a book, my lightweight radio, and my crocs. The stitching is extremely high quality, and it was VERY easy to seamseal.

The "no-see-um" mesh is of great quality and it will clearly stand up to quite a bit of abuse. I was initially nervous about the spinnaker fabric being able to tolerate my ham fisted nature, but after a dozen or so pitches and a couple actual bag nights, it is standing up very well.

This tent takes a couple tries to get pitched right, but once you get it, its like riding a bike!

I have two gripes about "The One"...

1.) I am 5'11". On my Neo-air (2.5" thick) with my spring/fall quilt (jacks r better Hudson River) the footbox of the quilt touches the fabric of the tent wall. This is only a problem if it is particularly cold and rainy, however.

2.) The vestibule "beak" is pretty high off the ground, and it is difficult to get it much lower than 10" high. Due to the angle of the fabric and the distance involved there is no realistic chance that precipitation might enter the tent, but if it is particularly windy and cold you will have to choose your site, and pitch carefully, with the back into the wind.

These gripes are not major, however, and I am very comfortable rating this shelter somewhere between 4 and 4.5 start, the weight/protection/ventilation ratio is outstanding, and Gossamer Gear products in general are outstanding in quality!

I just finished a 625 miles section hike of the PCT…

Design: three season
Ease of Setup: takes some getting used to.
Weight: 17 ounces
Price Paid: about $350 Canadian

I just finished a 625 miles section hike of the PCT from Saddle Junction (approx mile 178) to Mount Whitney, exit Whitney Portal from May 27 to June 25. "The One" was the only shelter I carried the whole way.

I set it up probably about 70% to 80% of the time. At first I found it a little fussy to set up, but as I got more familiar with it, I got into a routine that worked well for me.

Since most of this hike was in desert or pretty dry climate the tent didn't get tested real hard in rain. I got rained on one night and a few nights of drizzle. Not a drop of water inside. On some of those misty nights in the "June Gloom" I had some minor condensation issues but nothing that I couldn't wipe dry with a bandana or small microfibre towel.

I never did succeed in getting the backside as tight as I would like. I don't have high speed internet so haven't seen the video. Maybe that would help. (I'm waiting for the new one.)

At any rate, I always was glad that my whole shelter only weighed about a pound when I asked everyone else what they were carrying. In my opinion, lightness will cover a multitude of sins.

Only reason for not a full 5 star rating, tensioning the back and vent at the top. Great tent, Gossamer Gear! It is easily my favorite lightweight shelter and will definitely get used on my next go at the PCT.

Chuck Shugart
Yellow Grass, Saskatchewan, Canada

I really like this tent. I just spent two weeks with…

Design: Hiking Pole Tent
Ease of Setup: Excellent
Weight: 1.25 pounds

I really like this tent. I just spent two weeks with in on the Tahoe Rim Trail and cannot say enough about the tent.

Here are my raves:

1) Pitches very easy and consistent each time. Just a few minutes and it was pitched. Has a smaller footprint than some other hiking pole tents.

2) Roomy. I found I had enough room in the tent to store my gear and still move around. I am 5'10". I can fully sit up and sometimes stand up bent over to move the sleeping pad.

3) Ventilation. Since the tent pitches reliably each time, I found ventilation was very good. While I did not occur any damp nights in the Sierra's (a rarity), I did feel breeze coming in the tent from the bottom and top as it always pitched with about 4 inches of clearance to the ground. The slightly higher in the front vestibule contributes to what I feel is better airflow.

4) Wind handling, I camped on some high ridges with nightly gusts around 40mph, had no problem with the tent standing up in those conditions.

5) Lightweight. Hey 20oz total (groundcloth, tent and stakes) - what else can you ask for in a totally enclosed tent.

Cons:

1) The spinnaker material is kind of noisy in the wind. Oh well, insert ear plugs and take to sleeping pills.

I used this shelter for my thru hike of the Pacific…

Design: Three Season
Ease of Setup: Somewhat Complex
Weight: 17 oz (tent body only before seam sealing)

I used this shelter for my thru hike of the Pacific Crest Trail and The Continental Divide Trail. This tent survived. I used it in snow and hail in the Sierra Nevada. Washington, Colorado and Montana rainstorms, as well as high winds everywhere on those trails. The "One" never let me down.

There is a learning curve to setting this shelter up taut but the reward is a veritable bomb shelter.

The spinnaker fabric is only noisy at first. But the material ages well, gets quieter, and never wets out or stretches in the rain.

One neat rick with this tent is to leave one half of the door open and shift the floor to the back allowing you to get a lot of ventilation yet stay dry in light rain. I also liked being able to leave the doors open in mosquito country like the Wind River range in July! The whole front of the tent becomes one big mesh window. It was always nice to know that at the end of every day there would come a moment when I would zip the mesh door shut and be at peace from the mozzies!

The full coverage integral fly creates a vestiblue area for wet shoes and pack. There are plenty of places to hang wet socks inside as well. This is not a free standing tent but I found it could be set up anywhere. Sometimes by tying it out to vegetation instead of stakes or even using rock anchors.

This is a very versatile tent and it can be set up on uneven ground easily. If you are going to live in a tent for four months the Gossamer Gear One, at 17 ounces (tent body alone before seam sealing), would be a great choice.

If you are looking for something with more wind protection than a tarp but less weight than most tents this could be for you.

Another advantage of this shelter is the way it does not feel claustrophobic inside. You can set it up to be any height you wish and I tended to set it up so I could see out from under the fly.

After having used this tent for so long I would definitely say it is worth every penny.

Gossamer Gear The One

The Gossamer Gear The One is not available from the stores we monitor.