User Review: Gossamer Gear The One
Design: Hiking Pole Tent
Ease of Setup: Excellent
Weight: 1.25 pounds
Price Paid: $275
I really like this tent. I just spent two weeks with in on the Tahoe Rim Trail and cannot say enough about the tent.
Here are my raves:
1) Pitches very easy and consistent each time. Just a few minutes and it was pitched. Has a smaller footprint than some other hiking pole tents.
2) Roomy. I found I had enough room in the tent to store my gear and still move around. I am 5'10". I can fully sit up and sometimes stand up bent over to move the sleeping pad.
3) Ventilation. Since the tent pitches reliably each time, I found ventilation was very good. While I did not occur any damp nights in the Sierra's (a rarity), I did feel breeze coming in the tent from the bottom and top as it always pitched with about 4 inches of clearance to the ground. The slightly higher in the front vestibule contributes to what I feel is better airflow.
4) Wind handling, I camped on some high ridges with nightly gusts around 40mph, had no problem with the tent standing up in those conditions.
5) Lightweight. Hey 20oz total (groundcloth, tent and stakes) - what else can you ask for in a totally enclosed tent.
1) The spinnaker material is kind of noisy in the wind. Oh well, insert ear plugs and take to sleeping pills.