User Review: Gossamer Gear The One
Design: Hiking Pole Tent
Ease of Setup: Excellent
Weight: 1.25 pounds
Price Paid: $275
I really like this tent. I just spent two weeks with in on the Tahoe Rim Trail and cannot say enough about the tent.
Here are my raves:
1) Pitches very easy and consistent each time. Just a few minutes and it was pitched. Has a smaller footprint than some other hiking pole tents.
2) Roomy. I found I had enough room in the tent to store my gear and still move around. I am 5'10". I can fully sit up and sometimes stand up bent over to move the sleeping pad.
3) Ventilation. Since the tent pitches reliably each time, I found ventilation was very good. While I did not occur any damp nights in the Sierra's (a rarity), I did feel breeze coming in the tent from the bottom and top as it always pitched with about 4 inches of clearance to the ground. The slightly higher in the front vestibule contributes to what I feel is better airflow.
4) Wind handling, I camped on some high ridges with nightly gusts around 40mph, had no problem with the tent standing up in those conditions.
5) Lightweight. Hey 20oz total (groundcloth, tent and stakes) - what else can you ask for in a totally enclosed tent.
1) The spinnaker material is kind of noisy in the wind. Oh well, insert ear plugs and take to sleeping pills.
Where to Buy
The Gossamer Gear The One is not available from the stores we monitor.
You may be able to find it new or used at one of these sites:
Or you may want to check for a dealer list or direct sales on the Gossamer Gear website.
Retailers: Do you sell this product? List your site here.