Gregory Banshee

Great googly moogly!! This is a really tremendous…

Design: Internal frame
Size: 2960
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 30ish #
Height of Owner: 6 ft
Price Paid: $140 and change on sale

Great googly moogly!! This is a really tremendous backpack!! Not in size, but in sheer value. It has everything that you've come to expect from a Greg: Very comfy harness system; Perfect fit (Don't forget to get the correct size); Perfect use of surface area; etc. It's also got the usual features: Foam-X framesheet with single stay (ala Reality); floating lid (no daypack conversion though.); side and top compression straps; large front pocket & stretch mesh pockets on the sides. Actually, think of it as a baby Wind River.

I tested this pack with a bit of a heavy load. I for one believe that a pack should be able to do more than it is advertized to do, and let me tell you, this little guy comes through. It performs as a true Gregory. The most noteable thing about the pack is that it absolutely does not sway during a carry when overpacked as most packs this size will be prone to do. It is a truly perfect carry.

In terms of size, I feel that the Banshee is more than a daypack as Gregory would so modestly say. In my test carry I packed everything that I'd need for a 2-day trip. Okay, okay, a SUMMER 2-day trip (Bivy sack- no tent and a wool blanket- no sleeping bag), but still had room to spare.

The only aspect of the pack that concerns me is that the harness system is sewn directly to the packbag where the framesheet housing meets the bag fabric. However, in normal use with normal loads, this design will be just fine, I sure.

Ya gotta get one of these!!

This is quite an amazing pack. I've had this on several…

Design: Front-loading internal
Size: 3000
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 22 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'11"

This is quite an amazing pack. I've had this on several 2 day hikes. I usually carry 22 lbs (including food + water) on a 2 day hike. The lighweight bug has bit me! The first thing that should be noted about this pack is its comfort. Its harness system is quite amazing. It's made with memory foam, so it says contoured to your body. I've been running with this pack, and it stay in place quite well. The only thing I would complain about... and I'm being quite picky here, is that I feel it's a bit heavy for the size. At 3000 ci, it weighs in at 4lbs 6oz. I have managed to whittle away a few nonesential features to the pack, to bring it down to 3lbs 15.oz. (trimmed all straps, removed the middle strap holding the lid on, removed ice axe loops, removed ski holders under mesh pockets, drilled holes evenly throughout the aluminum stay). I called Gregory before drilling the stay, and they said it would be fine. I also take the lid off to hike during the spring/summer/fall and this brings it down to 3lbs 8oz. So, it's not too bad at this weight. Although, there is the Mountainsmith Ghost pack (3000 ci/ 2.5 lbs) but, I think the Gregory suspension is much more comforable. Get this pack, you can't go wrong with it.

I had to overload this pack because I was doing some…

Design: internal
Size: 3000
Number of Pockets: 1
Max. Load Carried: 60
Height of Owner: 5'9"
Price Paid: $99 on sale

I had to overload this pack because I was doing some backpacking with two young children. I weighed it at 60 pounds and was worried that the pack may not hold up. It came through like a trooper. I have never been more happy with a piece of gear than with the Gregory Banshee. I will now be brand loyal, which the marketing people @ Gregory will love. This is a high quality pack for a reasonable price. The straps, buckles and zippers are beefy and well made.

If you've owned or used a Gregory Banshee, please share your experience.

Gregory Banshee

The Banshee has been discontinued.

The Gregory Banshee is not available from the stores we monitor.

Weight 4 lb 6 oz