Gregory Savant 48 Pack

The Gregory Savant 48 is a great overnight/weekend…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

The Gregory Savant 48 is a great overnight/weekend pack that is lightweight and durable with a simple look. It includes a rain cover, and has some great pockets to store your gear!

Pros

• Straps stay snug
  • Included rain cover
  • Nice suspension, as long as there isn't too much weight

Cons

• Mesh hip belt pockets let in dirt/water
  • Suspension is not adjustable to torso length
  • 'Secret' side pocket seems gimmicky to me
  • Mesh side pockets are not elastic

I really like this pack. You may be asking, "If you really like this pack, why didn't you give it 5 stars?" Well...I'm not infatuated with it. In a way love can be defined as accepting someone despite of their shortcomings or flaws.

That being said, I do think that there are some things about this pack that are not perfect, but there are so many things about it that work so well.

Here are some things about the pack I would change if I could:

1. The 'secret' pocket along the right side of the pack behind the waist belt seems like a gimmick to me...there aren't many things I would put in there as a backpacker...it could fit a wallet or something, but I don't see much use for it. Now if you're worried that a stranger will root through your pack, then that could be helpful.
  2. The hip pockets are mesh which cuts down on weight but don't put anything in there that you aren't willing to put through the elements. Stick your cell phone/camera in a baggie!
  3. The side mesh pockets are not elastic so putting a water bottle in them is really hard once the main compartment is packed. I put water bottles in those pockets before I pack the main compartment and it makes things a little more snug in there. I'd like to have more space in my main compartment. So why don't I just get a hydration bladder? Next point...
  4. It's hard to get a hydration bladder in and out of the hydration pouch. And the hydration pouch actually sits in the main compartment, so once again, pack it before you pack the main compartment. And a packed hydration pouch means a little less space in the main compartment.
  5. This last one is really ticky-tack, but the top compartment has a zipper designed to keep out water. Once again, I think that's more of a gimmick because you can actually roll it and tuck it in which could keep it away from water anyway.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I can talk about why I love this pack!

First and foremost, it fits me and my needs really well. The suspension fits well and feels good on my back. I love the way it aligns with the small of my back and at my shoulders. And at 48 liters, I can have just about everything I need for an overnight trip with the fam — or a more intense, less comfortable 3-day trip with my buddies. Here are some fragmented thoughts on what I like:

• I took the Savant out on an overnight trip this past winter where temps dipped into the low teens at night, and I had it packed as full as I could get it with anything that could keep me warm (I don't have any winter gear). Loaded with about 30 lbs of gear (carried some extra stuff for people) the pack held up quite nicely.

The suspension is basically two thick wires that make a wishbone shape. They did not bend or shift, and the suspension did not bulge...I was worried it would happen but was pleased it did not. Surprisingly, the 30 lbs felt relatively comfortable on the hike - if that's even possible. My muscles were tired from fatigue but not because of discomfort. 30 lbs is at the high end of this pack's weight capability and it performed beautifully.
  • All of the straps seem to work really well. I haven't experienced much shifting of gear, and the straps stay pretty snug. When I had 30 lbs in it I had to readjust my waist strap but I am a 30 inch waist and pretty slender so I blame that more on my hips...and the fact that I had a bunch of layers on to protect me from the elements.
  • You can get into the main compartment in two ways: the top, and there's a zipper that opens up like a horseshoe to get access to the main without opening the top and unpacking everything. I find that very helpful.
  • Unlike the side mesh pockets, the outer front pocket has some elastic on it so you can fit a good amount of things in there, even with a full main compartment.
  • The rain cover works great. The water beads up and simply rolls off of the cover. Fits well and has its own storage compartment in the pack.

Overall, I think this is a great pack. The things I'd change about this pack did not deter me from getting it because there are many things I love about it. This pack fits me really well, it's durable, and for the most part the design is really well thought out.

This pack is great for weekend trips, as long as you have good compact gear. It makes a great overnight pack if you don't want to spend the money on smaller/lighter gear.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend it. At the very least, I encourage you to try one on if you're interested.

Hi Adam, thanks for joining Trailspace sharing this helpful gear review!

1 month ago
Daniel Oates

Great, detailed review, Adam. 30lbs for a 48 liter pack and it felt good on the hike, not too shabby!

1 month ago

The Gregory Savant 48 Pack is perfect for hiking to the climbing crag or trekking through Europe. Loaded with features and organization options, the Savant 48 will be a steady companion to help you on your way.

- CampSaver.com

The Gregory Savant 48 is the optimal platform for any adventure. Ideal for hikers and backpackers who find themselves at the crag, attempting a summit or traveling the back-roads, the fully featured Savant 48 features organization, side zipper access, and comfortable suspension. Intuition 3D Suspension Water-resistant roll top style top pocket Breathable, molded foam backpanel, harnesses and waistbelt Side stash, zippered quick access pocket External hydration access Large panel zipper access to main pack body Side and bottom compression Dual axe/tool attachment points Top lid security pocket Integrated, color-matched raincover 3 mm gauge wire used for the wishbone internal frame suspension 7 mm EVA foam for waistbelt 10 mm EVA foam for harness

- OMCgear

Gregory Savant 48 PackThe Gregory Savant 48 Pack is perfect for hiking to the climbing crag or trekking. It is equipped with a minimally ventilated back panel and relatively thin hip belt. It provides a good balance of mobility and solidity, though slender testers wished for more lumbar definition to keep it from sliding off the hips. This pack swallows huge amounts of gear and offers significant external carry capacity as well. The unique, volume-adjustable semi roll top lid was a surprising highlight of this pack; add-ons like the included rain cover and removable external-carry straps boosted its versatility. The Gregory Savant 48 Pack will be a steady companion to help you on your way.

- SunnySports

Free Shipping. Gregory Savant 48 Pack FEATURES of the Gregory Savant 48 Pack Intuition 3D Suspension Water-resistant roll top style top pocket Breathable, molded foam backpanel, harnesses and waistbelt Side stash, zippered quick access pocket External hydration access Large panel zipper access to main pack body Side and bottom compression Dual axe/tool attachment points Top lid security pocket Integrated, color-matched raincover U-shaped zipper for wide access from the front panel 3 mm gauge wire used for the wishbone internal frame suspension 7 mm EVA foam for waistbelt 10 mm EVA foam for harness SPECIFICATIONS for Small Weight: 3 lbs 2 oz / 1.4 kg Volume: 2685 cubic inches / 44 liter SPECIFICATIONS for Medium Weight: 3 lbs 5 oz / 1.5 kg Volume: 2929 cubic inches / 48 liter SPECIFICATIONS for Large Weight: 3 lbs 10 oz / 1.6 kg Volume: 3173 cubic inches / 52 liter Click to download some super information on how to properly Fit a Gregory Pack .

The Gregory Savant 48 hits the sweet spot for an all-around technical backpack perfect for backpacking, climbing and travel. Intuition 3D suspension uses a cross-ridged back panel with moisture-wicking mesh keeps your back cool and dry. A wishbone wire frame gives excellent weight transfer and anti-barreling for loads up to 30 pounds. The 3D harness and waistbelt use moisture wicking mesh to keep you cool and perspiration free. The top pocket uses a dry-bag-style roll-top closure to keep your essentials dry and secure. A side stash zippered quick access pocket makes for a secure place for your wallet and passport when you're overseas. External access to your hydration reservoir makes refilling a lot easier than other packs that need to be unpacked and repacked with each use. The main compartment is accessed both through the top and a large horseshoe-shaped zipper on the front, making finding what you're looking for much easier. Side and bottom compression straps keep your gear tight to your center of gravity for comfort and control. Dual axe/tool attachment points are perfect for trekking poles as well. A top lid security pocket adds more secure storage for travel. An integrated, color matched rain cover deploys quickly when the weather turns on you. Best uses: Backpacking, long day hikes, winter hiking, climbing, cragging, travel. From a weekend backpacking trip to a day at the climbing crag or an overseas vacation, the Gregory Savant backpack does it all. Weight capacity: Up to 30 lbs (14 kg). Volume: Medium: 48 liters (2929 cubic inches), Large: 52 liters (3173 cubic inches). Weight: Medium: 3 lbs 5 oz (1.5 kg), Large: 3 lbs 10 oz (1.6 kg). Torso length: Medium: 18-20 inches, Large: 20-22 inches. Available Color(s): Indigo Blue, Thundercloud Black

- Tahoe Mountain Sports