medium large
Weight 3 lb 4 oz / 1.50 kg 3 lb 7 oz / 1.55 kg
Capacity 2441 cu in / 40 L 2563 cu in / 42 L
Torso length 18 in - <20 in 20 in - 22 in

Gregory packs are very easy to use and offer excellent…

Summary

Gregory packs are very easy to use and offer excellent storage options. This pack is very light, yet holds a ton. It's also very well made and has features that larger packs have. This is an excellent day pack or "over nighter" for men and women.

Pros

• Very durable
  • Excellent storage options
  • Excellent ventilation
  • Rain cover included with pack
  • Top loaded like the larger packs

Cons

• Waist belt seems small
  • Waist belt pockets are very small

I wanted to wait till I used this pack a few times before I reviewed it. I just used this pack for the fifth time in the last couple of months and I love it. I have about 45 miles on it and it appears to be very rugged and light. The backpack includes several adjustments on the pack to allow it to fit most anyone.

The pack seems like it holds more than the rated 40 liters due to the number of compartments provided. These compartments allow you to organize your gear to make finding the important gear like your headlamp in the dark with ease. The pack is large enough to hold enough gear for an over night trip yet it fits very snugly against your back and has a small footprint.

The pack is a top loader but there's also a zippered cover that allows you to get to the gear in the bottom of the pack with ease. The Z40 has so many compression straps that you can keep your gear from moving weather loaded light or heavy. One of the nicest features of this pack is the ventilation.   It sits a few inches off your back with a mesh front making this an excellent warm weather pack.

The only thing I would recommend changing on this pack would be the belt. The belt could be a bit bigger, as in longer, and the pockets on the belt need to be a bit larger.

Gary Leatham

My Wife and I both have and love this pack.

1 year ago

Welcome to Trailspace, Greg. Thanks for sharing your Z40 pack review. Got any pictures of your pack you'd be willing to add and show in your review?

1 year ago

I love this pack! I was looking for a pack that could…

I love this pack! I was looking for a pack that could get small enough for a day pack but also get big enough to hold my gear for an overnighter. It did the job. The crossflow system provides excellent air flow to avoid the sweaty back.

Without a rainfly it did well in wet conditions but not in a downpour. That's why I'm glad they added the rainfly. I also like how they added the sleeping back compartment in the bottom.

Overall this is an amazing pack!

This is an excellent pack for three-season use a daypack…

Summary

This is an excellent pack for three-season use a daypack or as a 1-2 night, minimalist pack. Lightweight. Very good weight distribution. Even when the pack felt heavy lifting it, once it was on it felt like I wasn't carrying anything at all.

Pros

• Access from top and front
  • Hydration compatible
  • Integrated rain cover
  • Multiple pockets
  • Comfortable suspension

Cons

• Limited attachment points
  • Mesh water-bottle pockets difficult to use

I was looking for a pack to replace my old Jansport Odyssey 39 liter pack that I had been using. This was OK, but the capacity was limited by several different pockets and was better suited as a school/book bag.

The Z40 was just what the doctor ordered. It has plenty of space for an extended day hike (extra clothes, food, stove, 10 Essentials, and even a tarp as emergency shelter) or even a fair weather overnight. New with the 2014 revision is there is no longer bottom access or sleeping bag compartment. Instead, the front access zipper opens from the bottom and flips up over the top of the bag. This allows for very easy access to the entire main compartment, especially the bottom. The top is easily accessed through top opening.

The suspension is top notch. When loaded with about 35 lbs of gear, the pack felt heavy lifting it but as soon as I put it on I was AMAZED at how light it felt. The trampoline suspension does an excellent job of distributing the weight. I also noticed there was absolutely no sway while hiking or scrambling over blow-down.

Downside is the lack of attachment points. There are two trekking pole/ice ax attachments, but I am not sure I would use them for the latter. This reduces its functionality for winter use as there is also no way to attach snowshoes or skis. However, for three-season use it is now my go-to bag for day hikes.

It's not the lightest pack of this size, but it is…

Summary

It's not the lightest pack of this size, but it is very comfortable so far, and seems very durable.

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Packs down nice when empty
  • Very durable
  • Includes rain cover
  • Breathable back
  • Reasonable weight

Cons

• Tiny waistbelt pockets
  • very small "sleeping bag compartment"

I like this pack. I do a lot of hiking where there isn't always a trail, and this pack hugs my body very well while still providing air flow to most of my back. It's a very stream-lined, snug fitting design. Almost too small for a multiday pack (unless your a minimalist), and a little excessive for a day pack (unless you're very comfort driven).

I CAN fit all of my long distance hiking gear in it, but the Z45 or Z50 would probably be a little more ideal for carrying larger amounts of food, water or clothes. Again, if you're a minimalist or have the most compact gear you can get, this should be fine. My bag weighs 21 lbs. with everything in it, and it is very comfortable.

Now for the design of the bag. It has access points to the main compartment from the top, bottom, and the front, leaving plenty of options for you to get at all of your gear very easily. A folding top flap with two pockets in it. The top pocket is much larger than the bottom (on the under-side of the flap, almost a secret pocket).

The inside of the bag has a flap and a zipper for an optional separate sleeping bag compartment (barely fits a pair of sandals, a sleeping bag will not fit), a water bladder sleeve that goes all the way to the bottom of the pack, and two ports for the hose, one on the outside of each shoulder strap.

There are two outside mesh pockets, one on each side of the pack, and two mesh pockets on the waist belt. Unfortunately the belt pockets are the only part of this bag that I consider somewhat of a waste, due to their almost useless size. I don't know if my headlamp even fits in them.

Most comfortable pack I have owned. Great padding…

Summary

Most comfortable pack I have owned. Great padding without being to cumbersome. Great from travel, day and multi-day hikes.

Pros

• Gread padding in waist and shoulders
  • Instant access to entire inside at once

Cons

• A bit on the heavy side
  • Top flap not removable

I have had this bag for the last three months, including a cross-country road trip, with lots of day hikes. This bag has been with me to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back on a three-day trip.  Most recently I just spent the last month traveling around Turkey with this bag. It was small enough to fit under my seat during bus trips within the country, but big enough to hold everything i needed for a 3 day hike. Also worked well for day hikes using the compression straps on either sides. This bag is also small enough to fit in the over head compartments of airplanes so could be used as carry-on luggage.

Access to the main compartment was easy with the main zipper, which avoids the problem that most "tunnel" style backpacks have. Which is that you have to take every thing out to access things buried at the bottom great for trips where you sleep in different place every night. Extremely comfortable even when overloaded. Spent the last day overloaded walking around Istanbul with about 20kgs worth of gear and barely noticed.  Extremely comfortable Im 6 ft 200 lbs and the large size fit me like a glove.  an added bonus is the integrated rain cover pocket with rain cover.

I'm pretty hard on my gear and the pack seems to be holding its own. A few nicks and scrapes here and there but the construction seems to be solid.