GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Cookset

This is a great lightweight cook set, if you have the right type of stove to accommodate the small 4.2 inch diameter.

• Abrasion resistance
  • Lid for sipping
  • Insulating sleeve

• Does not fit all stoves
  • Telescoping foon/spork is fragile

I have recently discovered that I am no longer the young guy who can haul 80 lbs in his pack for a week long adventure. Therefore I have started downsizing on gear trying to find a way to make my adventures a little more pleasant. My first ultra-lite purchase was the Haulite Minimalist cook set. This cook set was a good idea, but I think I have the wrong stove to compliment this cook set.

This set weighs only 6.3 oz. it stands 4.6 inches tall and is 4.2 wide. It comes with a telescoping foon/spork, a silicone magnetic gripper that only takes two fingers to use, a lightweight insulating sleeve, and a sipper lid. The lid can be flipped upside down to assist with faster boiling times or you can use it up right to sip you coffee or tea.

The Goods

Haulite is super lightweight and distributes the heat evenly. The size is perfect for cooking Rice-a-Roni or similar type meals. This makes it the perfect cook set for 1 man cooking. The material used is abrasion resistant and is easily cleaned with sand or snow. With this system you have a bowl, cup and pot all in one.

The Bad

While the telescoping fork was a great idea you have to be very gentle with them or the foon will slide right of the track. The track itself breaks pretty easily. If you’re rough on gear like I am I suggest leaving the foon at home.

The diameter is barely too small to accommodate my MSR Whisperlite. It will work if you are super careful but the slightest bump can leave you food all over the ground.

I would highly recommend this set if you have the right stove. I would imagine it would work great with most canister type, or alcohol stoves. It cooks fast and evenly. The insulating is a great bonus feature for sipping on cocoa in the middle of winter.

My only real complaint would be the foon. I actually liked the idea of the telescoping foon so much that after I broke the first one I ordered another and tried too be really careful, but I have come to the conclusion I am hard on gear and that is to fragile of a system to be in my hands.