GSI Outdoors Ultralight Dualist Cook System

Really clever nesting -- great kit for 2 or 3 on the trail.

Pot size works perfect for backpacking with 3 hikers. I only use it for boiling water to rehydrate meals, instant soups (ramen) and hot beverages.

Bowl sizes are perfect. Cups are short and wide, but work fine with the no-spill lids. Lids are also just large enough to rest on top of bowls, allowing me to stack bowls of ramen to preserve heat while they "stew" and rehydrate.

Collapsing sporks were actually a nice surprise as the outside short tines have small pitchforks on the inside that allow them to hook noodles and work more like a fork (thru that with your Taco Bell spork).

Everything cleans up easily.

System nests together along with my Snow Peak stove and a 110 ml canister. It's all snug and there is no jingling of parts when you're on the trail -- that alone is worth the price of purchase to me.

Now, while I love my new kit, I have two small gripes:

1. The cups have faint measuring marks that allow them to be used to measure boiling water for your trail meals -- super idea. Problem is that the etched measurements are so faint that I can barely make them out in bright sunlight or in my own kitchen. When I'm backpacking, I do almost all my cooking in the fading light of sunset (at best) or as the sun is coming up, and I just can't see the marks without using my headlamp on high beam. I wish they were more easily read.

2. I wish the pot had some type of spout. It isn't the worst pour, but the slightest hesitation can result in a spill (and I seriously hate spilling water I've had to filter, carry and boil!). Maybe I just need to practice.

Have you owned or used a GSI Outdoors Ultralight Dualist Cook System? Share your experience »