GSI Cascadian Mug

Weight 1.7 oz
Dimensions 4.50 in x 3.70 in x 3.00 in
Materials Polypropylene

Light, tough and cheap. The photo I posted of my mug…

Summary

Light, tough and cheap.

Pros

• Large capacity
  • Tough

Cons

• Bulky

GSI-Cascadian-Mug.jpg600_45052761.jpg

The photo I posted of my mug doesn't match the one on Trailspace, but you get the idea.

The GSI Cascadian mug has gone with me on every backpacking trip I've done in the last several years, and even when car-camping. It's lightweight at only 70 gms, and it holds 400 ml. Made of polypropylene, it's tough enough to hang off a carbiner on a pack, but I usually carry it in a side pocket stuffed with my spork, a lighter, and a 250 ml alcohol fuel bottle. Makes for a nice compact package.

In the morning, especially, I NEED to have a cup of coffee going while my food is cooking, so my regular drill is to boil water and make coffee in the mug, then prepare the rest of the food using the pans that come with the stove.

One caution: I had originally assumed the volume was 250 ml, like a regular coffee mug. That made for some watery coffee, and a few Mountain House 'soups' that really should have been stews. Once I actually measured it, my meals and my coffee started tasting a lot better!

This is one of a number of GSI pieces I originally bought when shopping for camp dishes. I also purchased the GSI Infinity Bowl, which I still use for car camping, and the GSI Infinity Divided Plate. Since my usual backpacking stove includes a metal bowl, I don't use the GSI bowl for backpacking, and the divided plate sits mostly unused in my car-camping kit.

The mug seems to be pretty much indestructible, and at the price, I wouldn't be concerned if it eventually cracked. The cup's at least three or four years old now, though, so I don't think that's going to happen.

Joseph Renow

Great review Peter...what is your opinion about how well it keeps coffee warm?...and what about cofee on the go...is there a lid that can be bought for it?

Visit GSI's Cascadian Mug page.

This recyclable polypropylene is an inexpensive answer to all your outdoor dining needs. This lightweight, flexible material is easy to pack, stack and carry.

- Ramsey Outdoor

The Cascadian Mug is an affordable, lightweight handled drinking cup constructed of rugged Polypropylene.

- Appalachian Outdoors

The recyclable, inexpensive answer to all your outdoor dining needs. This lightweight, flexible material is easy to pack, stack and carry. And it's available in four bold colors, to identify individual settings and brighten up any meal.

- CampSaver.com

Instill some bold, colorful design to your camp dishes with the simple Cascadian Mug from GSI Outdoors. Serve up morning coffee in this flexible polypropylene mug that stacks easily for efficient transport and is recyclable for when the time comes to replace it.

- Mountain Gear