Guyot Designs Utensils

The set is lightweight and very sturdy. They perform…

Summary

The set is lightweight and very sturdy. They perform double duty for cooking and for eating. They are long enough for cooking, but not too long for eating. The spork and knife/spatula snap together.

Pros

• Durability
  • Compact, they snap together and occupy little space.
  • They have a convenient hole for hanging.

Cons

• They aren't titanium and aren't as lightweight.

The set I own is the longer Guyot Designs "The Utensils" at 9.5 inches for the spatula versus the Guyot Designs "MicroBites Utensils" which is 6 inches.  I have had my tomato red set for well over 5 years.  They have been my "go to" eating utensils for every trip I have made with my boy scout troop during that time.  This set has accompanied me on over 3 dozen camping trips and at least a half dozen backpacking trips from 10 to 75+ miles in length.

As I mentioned earlier, the set is lightweight and very sturdy.  Each piece is made of a durable, nylon polymer that holds up well when exposed to hot foods and liquids.  They perform double duty for cooking and for eating.  They are long enough for cooking, but not too long for eating.  The spork works equally well for spearing food and eating foods that are heavy with liquid.

They are made of plastic and aren't as light as titanium. But at 1.8 ounces for both pieces, it is only 1.2 ounces more than a 6.5 inch titanuim spork. I think it is well worth the extra 1.2 ounces to have both pieces. If I were about to hike the Appalachian or Pacific Coast trails, I might buy the titanium spork to help keep my weight as light as possible.  But for what I do and the types of trips I take most often, I am very happy that these have proven quite effective.

These are perfect, so easy to use, so versatile. Cleaning…

These are perfect, so easy to use, so versatile. Cleaning couldn't be easier. New "Microbites" version is smaller and great for saving space if you're a weight weenie. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

FromSagetoSnow

"Weight weenie." I might adopt that phrase

1 year ago

I agree that this is the perfect set. It comes in…

Price Paid: Around $4

I agree that this is the perfect set. It comes in a smaller version which will fit inside your mess kit, but it won't reach the bottom of your boil bag or keep your fingers from getting burnt by the fire.

If you've owned or used a Guyot Designs Utensils, please share your experience.

Guyot Designs Utensils

The Guyot Designs Utensils is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 14, 2014 at Mountains Plus.

If you're looking for a new utensil, check out the best reviewed current models.