Hilleberg Jannu 2

Perfect 2-person winter tent. It is very lightweight…

Summary

Perfect 2-person winter tent. It is very lightweight for a "bomb proof" full protection winter tent with no compromises.

Pros

• At ~6.8 lbs it is difficult to find a lighter winter tent
  • Its 3-cross pole design multiple guylines and quality construction enable it to withstand the most severe conditions
  • The inner-tent and fly are attached for quick and dry setup

Cons

• Light for winter but heavy for the other three seasons
  • Vestibule is not part of the free-standing structure and must be staked-out
  • Expensive but worth it

Setup of the Jannu is very easy since the fly and inner-tent are preattached. I have also left the footprint attached so that the entire tent is a single unit. The three poles are inserted into reinforced foot sleeves and then the hooks attached the tent to the poles.

I found that using 4 stakes, 2 in back and 2 at the front end of the vestibule, the tent can be set-up taut in a few minutes. The best part is that only the top of the fly is exposed to the elements during set-up.  I know of no other brand that offers this pre-attached design.

Stability is very good with just the 4 stakes mentioned above. With all guy-lines staked out I can't imagine a more stable tent.  The guylines are designed to wrap around the poles so that they are supporting the frame and not the fabric of the tent.

I haven't had the chance to test it in the extremes but imagine the design lends itself to provide optimal wind protection. The fly comes completly to the ground on all sides to provide warmth and added protection against weather.

The extremely large roof vent can be left open in severe weather since it has a seperate cover. But without a second door or any window (other than the vent) this tent is not ideal for warmer conditions.

I used it two nights in humid conditions on the beach on Catalina and found condensation to be minimal with the vent open and the door partially opened.  The footprint covers the vesibule area reducing condensation from ground moisture.

Space inside the tent is more than adequate for two full sized adults and the large vestibule can handle as much gear as two people can carry. There is plenty of head room for sitting up and pockets for storage of small items.

The tent is easy to pack although the stuff sack is a bit tight when leaving the footprint attached.

A really nice feature is that the inner tent can be detached and packed without taking down the outer fly enablling you to pack it dry even if the fly is wet.  This design also lets you set-up the outer fly only and use it as a light weight shelter to wait out a storm. If your inner tent is already attached this might not be so practical.

The biggest drawback is that even at 6.8 lbs (8.4 including the full sized footprint) this tent is too heavy for me in most climates.  I find myself bringing a tarp or bivy on most trips or if I want to bring a tent I take my 4.5lb MSR Hubba Hubba instead of the Jannu.

But I can't wait until winter when I will surely be looking for opportunities to put the Jannu to the test.  Whitney in March anyone?

Sean Van Cleve GUIDE/OUTFITTER

Wouldn't dream of a tarp where this is meant to live... love to see pics & a report after some real action!

baseballman74

could you tell me how tall you are? i'm 6 feet tall so i'm worry about my feet touching the wall. i'm planning to use Bigagness q core pad and sleeping back. please advise me on this matter as i'm planning to purchase one soon. thanks~ Randy from NJ.