Injinji Performance Crew Sock

Used as a liner sock with a pair of mid-weight merino…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Trailspace, as January's Reviewer of the Month)

Summary

Used as a liner sock with a pair of mid-weight merino wool hikers, I found the Injinji Performance Crew to be exactly what I need for blister free hiking/backpacking. While not the most durable socks, I am pleased enough with them to have purchased a second pair.

Pros

• Prevents blisters between my toes
  • Top band stays in place (no sagging)
  • Reasonably priced

Cons

• Durability
  • Stink to high heaven after a few days

Conditions of Testing: My Injinji Performance Crew Socks were used as liner socks with a pair of SmartWool PhD Run Medium Mini Socks on an 6-day, 85-mile hike along the River-to-River Trail in Shawnee National Forest in early April 2014.

Terrain consisted of continuous elevation change similar to hikes in the Appalachian Mountains (although elevation was, overall, lower). I hiked roughly 15-17 miles, with a starting pack weight of 25lbs. 3oz. Day time hiking temperatures ranged in the lower 40's to upper 50's. Day 2 brought continual rain, with my feet thoroughly soaked the entire day. Wet feet continued through mid-morning of Day 3.

How-To-Arthritis.jpg
My footwear for my 85-mile hike. After Day 2, I stopped
using the Body Glide on my feet and noticed no difference
in performance.

Injinji-2.jpg

Comfort: Being new to toe socks, I was expecting a "break in" period of getting comfortable with having something between my toes. This was NOT the case. The socks were quite comfortable from the start. However the most important comfort issue was I never had one hot spot during my entire trip. Generally, if I have blisters, it is between my toes after my feet are wet for several hours.

Fit: The top band held the sock in place, and I never dealt with saggy socks. There was no bunching or wrinkling between the toes. Once I put the socks on for a day of hiking, I never had to stop to readjust them or pull them back up. By the end of the trip, the socks still fit well. After machine washing them and wearing them on subsequent day hikes, the fit is still very good. The socks have not stretched out.

Temp Control: Using these as liners, while also wearing the SmartWool socks, my feet were just right, neither too hot, nor too cold. This was both during my 6-day hike in cooler temperatures and during an 8-mile day hike with temps in the upper 80's.

Moisture Wicking: My feet have NOT felt hot and sweaty in these socks combined with the SmartWool.

Odor Resistance: Forgetaboutit! These things smelled atrocious after a couple of days! I couldn't even stomach them hanging on my hammock ridgeline at night. This is not surprising for a synthetic sock. (By the way, the merino wool socks, did not retain much odor.)

Durability: The biggest con to these socks is the short lifespan. As seen in the video below (at 1:55), I noted considerable pilling and wear on the underside of the socks. In total, I've put roughly 93 miles on these socks. I doubt I will be able to get another long hike out of them, but I intend to test that premise.

Summing it all up: I am satisfied enough with these socks to have bought another pair to use after this initial pair wears out completely. They are comfortable. The fit stays true after a few washings (and hours of soaking wet hiking). I wish they smelled better at the end of the day and had more durability to them. But at $10 per pair, I can afford to go through a few pairs a year to prevent blisters.

PNW_John

Good review, G00SE. I may have to try them. I have wondered about the fit between the toes thing and stayed away from them. Thanks

Thanks, John.

DonP

I have a pair in white and this review sums up my own feelings about them. great as liners, comfy, wicks well, stinks alot after a couple of days, and don't last that long. I'm sold on these.

Before receiving them as a freebie, I had try to buy them in white (but REI was out of my size). I'm glad I got them in black--hides the dirt better.

Joseph Renow

Great review Goose!...I think I might try these socks for running!

Thanks, Joseph. I'm not a runner. So I don't know what kind of cushioning you need. These don't have much.

I have not pushed these socks too hard yet. As a trail…

I have not pushed these socks too hard yet. As a trail marathoner, mountain biker, climber, backpacker, mountaineer, and podiatry student, I expect a lot out of anything I put on my feet. These don't overly impress me so far. The material seems cheap, too many seams, and the seams also seem to merge at weak points and look very prone to early wear and tear.

I do fully respect the idea, by trying to put material between the toes, hopefully interdigital blisters can be avoided. Truly, if blisters do occur in between toes, it's most likely due to too tight shoes or an inherent biomechanical problem with your foot.

I'll be the first to pull this review if I do fall in love with the socks, but now... just not that impressed.

Unboxing review on the link below

Designed for sport, ready for anything! Injinji Sport 2.0 socks help harness your foot's natural mechanics, resulting in an enhanced tactile feel of your environment and an increased sense of balance.

Treat your feet to a comfortable, breathable pair of injinji Sport Original Weight Crew Toe Socks on your next hike, trail run, or casual outing about town. By using separate toe slots, these Crew Socks eliminate friction between your toes and reduce the chances of blistering.

Injinji Sport Original Weight Crew Toesock FEATURES of the Injinji Sport Original Weight Crew Toesock Original Weight - Moderate Interface Blister Prevention: Eliminates skin-on-skin friction Moisture Management: Superior fiber construction wicks sweat to keep feet dry Dual Welt Band: Holds Sock In Place SPECIFICATIONS of the Injinji Sport Original Weight Crew Toesock Coolmax Fiber: Coolmax Fiber is an enhanced fiber that provides superior moisture management and comfort The wicking capabilities of Coolmax fiber are ideal even in the most extreme conditions caused by any sport or activity This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Used in tandem with your toe shoes, Injinji's Sport Crew Socks help you through your workout to achieve better tactile feel, improved balance, and fewer lower leg injuries. Their Coolmax Wool fabric wicks moisture and dries quickly to keep you cool and comfortable.

- Mountain Gear

Injinji Performance CrewThe Original Weight Performance Toesock is engineered to separate your toes with a CoolMax(R) moisture wicking fiber that we blend with durable Nylon and Lycra(R) to create an anti-friction membrane that is light and breathable. Seamless in construction, the Performance Toesock(TM) forms to every contour of your foot. This allows for true restriction free and natural movement from your heel to five toes. This design encourages healthy circulation and eliminates skin on skin contact between your toes to prevent blisters Engineered w/ AIS technology and constructed with: * 70% CoolMax(R) * 25% Nylon * 5% Lycra(R) MaterialCoolMax(R) in an enhanced polyester fiber and is the industry leader when it comes to moisture management. CoolMax(R) fabric is specifically designed to provide not only superior moisture management but also to enhance the wearer's comfort. All benefits of CoolMax(R) are built into the fiber

- River Sports Outfitters