Great heavy duty pack. Perfect for heavy loads/hunting…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Great heavy duty pack. Perfect for heavy loads/hunting big game. It fits more weight than you can carry.

Pros

• Rugged
  • Weight transfer
  • Comfortable hip and shoulder straps

Cons

• Discontinued
  • 7 Lbs

I love this pack. I have about a thousand miles on it. It fits elk quarters perfectly, and I would buy another in a heartbeat if I could find one, as it is starting to show wear. The buckle finally broke with a 200+ pound load of meat last season, and the waterproofing is all but gone on the inside.

This is a TOUGH pack. Zippers still going strong. I acquired it at a garage sale about 15 years ago. I bought two new packs (REI and Osprey) and keep going back to this one. I even take it on short trips, as the weight transfer is perfect for me at 5'11, 175 lbs.

I am not in great hiking shape and have gone 20 miles with 50+ pounds in two days carrying this beast. I don't have a lot of hips. This pack still allows me to carry the weight on my hips comfortably. I love the fanny pack that covers the top. It is my go-to remote fishing box.

Been through tough...really, really tough...terrain all over Colorado and Alaska. I do a lot of bushwhacking through scrub oak and willows. I wish all packs were made like this. I also fly with it often. It has been on dozens of planes.

Welcome to Trailspace, Trevorradman! Thanks for the review of your Jansport. Sounds like a great pack! Do you have any pictures of it you could show others in your review?

Great pack! I bought this pack as an affordable option…

Summary

Great pack!

Pros

• Very tough and sturdy
  • Lots of space
  • Lots of buckles and attachments for external gear lashing
  • Like the color scheme

Cons

• Is a bit heavy, but that is what you get with well-built packs

I bought this pack as an affordable option when compared to other packs in its class and I haven't been at all disappointed. I have used it on numerous trips and it has always exceeded my expectations.

The seams are tough and the pack is well constructed. The interior waterproofing has peeled off after 12 years of use, but it outlasted my expectations. I did break one of the waist buckles after overloading the pack, but other than that I have had no issues (truth be told after ten years of use and overloading the buckle that is to be expected).

If this pack weren't disc. I would buy another one in a heartbeat as a backup. Great pack! Will be using it for years to come.

lankysob

Hi Shaun, I have an underused Jansport Alaska 115 that I bought years ago (my guess is in 2003?). Underused as in it still looks brand new. As far as I can recall, I only used it for 2 trips - 1 on a weekend camping trip (2003) and 1 to Spain for a week (2006). Other than that it has sat around waiting for me to use it again (which I never did). I was just doing research to possibly sell it on ebay and came across your review from last month saying you wish you could buy another as a backup. The one I have is Black/Gray/Red. If you're interested in buying it as a backup, I can send you as many pictures as you'd like to prove it's in great shape. Hopefully you'll get an email notification (or like 6, because I edited it a few times) that I've replied to your comment as Trailspace doesn't list your email address.

swillison1

I may be interested... Do you have pictures? Thanks

This is my third backpack. After owning two Camp Trails…

Design: top loading
Size: 7000 to 7800 fully extended
Number of Pockets: 8
Max. Load Carried: 50
Height of Owner: 5'11'
Price Paid: $120 on 10/19/01

This is my third backpack. After owning two Camp Trails packs, I appreciate the thought put into this Jansport. Lots of pockets, a fanny pack, and lots of compression straps to tighten down loads. After backpacking in the Smokies, Adirondacks and the Sierra Nevadas with it, I can say it held up well and was comfortable, even with a bear canister and group cookware in it.

I like the hood/fanny pack. It adjusts easily if you need to add more or less capacity to the pack. The detachable fanny pack is of decent capacity and allows for other items to be attached to it if you are going on a basecamp hike with it.

Pack weight is near 7 pounds. I cut off the ice axe loops (never have used them in 20 years) and removed the mesh organizer from the pocket. Even at near 7 pounds, I like this pack over my old Camp Trails Catskill hands down. This is the pack I will be using for another 10-15 years. The capacity of this pack is so huge, only buy one if you are going on week or longer outings.

I WENT ON A THREE MONTH HIKING EXPEDITION IN SOUTH…

Design: front loading
Size: 7OOO cu.in.
Number of Pockets: 7
Max. Load Carried: 85lbs
Height of Owner: 6 foot

I WENT ON A THREE MONTH HIKING EXPEDITION IN SOUTH EAST ALASKA. I WENT OVER SOME OF THE ROUGHEST TERRIAN , AND WENT THROUGH SOME OF THE ROUGHEST RAIN STORMS AND, MY JANSPORT ALASKA 115 STILL LOOK NEW. I GOT MY PACK ON SALE AND, MAN WHAT A DEAL I GOT FOR SUCH A AWESOME PACK. I AM STILL USING IT AND, WILL BE FOR A LONG TIME.